Second Skin Audio

Mixed woofer sized in the same build?

I can totally work......

It just needs to be crossed over correctly, so that the 15"s are grabbind say 20-45hz, then like four 10"s grabbing 45-90..... then (in a really crazy setup) a person might run eight 8"s grabbing from 90-250hz....then your mids, then your highs.... you could even run some super high frequency tweeters beyond that.

So basically, it's just like a common 3 way system, but taken a level or two beyond, to a 4 or 5 way system.

Pretty hard core x-over and sound proccessing to do it right, but sure, it can work very well actually.

Fish

PS, Where you would run into different sized subs sounding like garbage, would be if they were "trying" to play the same exact frequencies. A cancellation nightmare !

Thank you, seem's like you understood more of what I was getting at than some of the other people here.

basically when two dissimilar subs try to produce the same frequency there will be cancellations at certain frequencies

Please explain. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

basically when two dissimilar subs try to produce the same frequency there will be cancellations at certain frequencies

Please explain. . .

Obviously, what he's trying to say is when you play two different sized subwoofers that are hitting the same note, they will cancel eachother out, therefore you get no sound waves. Duhh... :rofl:8)

The guy I bought my subs off of had two 12" and two 15" mephis mojos in his car. I know it's not as big of a size difference as what your talking about, but he said it sounded great and some other guys we both knew said it sounded great and got super loud.

^^^This guy he is talking about. Richard...his username is TechForceServices I believe. He actually has a whole section here.

I'm sure he would have no issue explaining to you how to do it...but it is way too much to be explained in a post. Just PM him, or email him from www.techforceservices.com.

Rick has 2 15s and 2 18s. neither of which are Mojos..

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i didn't know 15's had a low rumbling sound, while 10's have a car rattling sound.

i guess i was doing it all wrong when i had my 18...

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

you just have to make sure they dont cross frequencies with each other too much. You have to think of it like a component system, each part does a certain frequency. So you would need the 15s to play say 40-25hz and the 10s crossedover to play 40-80hz. i personally would just stick with the 2 15s and not worry about the 10s.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Sounds like the "broken clock is right twice a day" phenomenon here. I believe that as a general rule, you shouldn't mix different drivers to reproduce the same range of frequencies. Different driver have a different color of sound, a tonal balance, if you will. Instead of getting the "best of both worlds" you usually get the "worst of both worlds" since the driver's sound won't tend to mix well. You also tend to lower your dynamic range since you can only get as loud as your weakest link... if a sub tends to bottom out at a certain frequency when the other one has a few dbs left to go, you will only go as loud as the weaker sub.

But I am absolutely sure that there are more guys out there than Tech Force that have been successful running different drivers to reproduce the same frequencies, but the percentage of these guys just getting it right off the bat is really low, for sure.

That's my .02

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

just dont ask. please

^^ This. Or use the search function.

You will see 8's and 10's occassionally used as midbass drivers, but combining 10's with 15's and sending the same signal... :popcorn:<_<

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |