Which car should I choose? same question as the other guy :P

Which oneee???  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which car?

• 2001 SVT Ford Cobra
    • Dodge Neon SRT-4 Complete Mopar Stage 3RS

First, I want to say, the more I read, I notice two things; you are full of poo and have your mind made up and you made a thread for attention. With that, it is what it is and I will amuse you.

Here is a Cobra with fairly low miles and in good shape for less than the cost of the neon you posted.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=301968437&dealer_id=56973777&car_year=2001&systime=&doors=&model=MUST&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=__Q29icmE%2C__&keywordsrep=067111098114097&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1313889109930&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=Cobra&sownerid=73009&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2001&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=PHOENIX_WE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&color=&address=85002&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=9&standard=false

Now you think the Neon will turn more heads than this?

Suggested pricing: Did both at 100,000 miles

Neon

http://www.kbb.com/dodge/neon/2003-dodge-neon/srt-4-sedan-4d/?vehicleid=2122&intent=buy-used&mileage=100000&options=80830|true|80891|true&pricetype=retail

$8700

Cobra

http://www.kbb.com/dodge/neon/2003-dodge-neon/srt-4-sedan-4d/?vehicleid=2122&intent=buy-used&mileage=100000&options=80830|true|80891|true&pricetype=retail

$11,900

MPG is similar in both..so yea.

Finding the one I listed at under 9k with less miles than the retails listed, I would say is a steal, plus the Cobra will hold it's value more and again, there is no replacement for displacement.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

I didnt read all the other talk.. But you will never see me put alot of power to front wheel drive car. It is imo completly worthless. What i dont get is your choice of cars? But i think you just wana go in a strait line... Thats not for me. Ill take my wrx sti toast all 4 tires in the snow, around a corner, up a hill, while my ass is warmed by the heated seats.. But if i had to choose the stange as much as i hate them..

First, I want to say, the more I read, I notice two things; you are full of poo and have your mind made up and you made a thread for attention. With that, it is what it is and I will amuse you.

Here is a Cobra with fairly low miles and in good shape for less than the cost of the neon you posted.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=301968437&dealer_id=56973777&car_year=2001&systime=&doors=&model=MUST&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=__Q29icmE%2C__&keywordsrep=067111098114097&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1313889109930&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=Cobra&sownerid=73009&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2001&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=PHOENIX_WE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&color=&address=85002&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=9&standard=false

Now you think the Neon will turn more heads than this?

Suggested pricing: Did both at 100,000 miles

Neon

$8700

Cobra

$11,900

MPG is similar in both..so yea.

Finding the one I listed at under 9k with less miles than the retails listed, I would say is a steal, plus the Cobra will hold it's value more and again, there is no replacement for displacement.

Lol if i buy a cobra that is the one i'm going to buy. I went and looked at it too.

This is my goal right here:

BUT like i said, i can't necessarily do a build like that....so in the mean time i could get a fully modded srt-4...thats ALMOST everything i want. Thats why i came here to make this thread... hoping maybe somebody could bring up something i hadn't thought about before. so far the only really big point someone has made is the Cobra's IRS

I didnt read all the other talk.. But you will never see me put alot of power to front wheel drive car. It is imo completly worthless. What i dont get is your choice of cars? But i think you just wana go in a strait line... Thats not for me. Ill take my wrx sti toast all 4 tires in the snow, around a corner, up a hill, while my ass is warmed by the heated seats.. But if i had to choose the stange as much as i hate them..

I know its two weird cars to compare. But i've narrowed it down from a really broad range. I don't like imprezas, just my personal opinion. I can't find an STI i could afford. I cant find an evo i could afford... Only way to reach that high 200 to 300+ hp range is either a bigger engine, or a 4 cyl turbo i can afford. The 08+ cobalt SS was my first choice, and they are too expensive. the SC cobalts are not powerful enough for me. That came down to the SRT-4.... As for big v8s... i hate the old body style camaros... can't stand them. again..personal opinion. I narrowed it down to the only older v8s i like, the mustangs and the pontiac GTOs.... Can't find a GTO within my price range... nor could i find a 03-04 cobra... I found an 03 mach 1...but they're lower HP than the 01 cobra. That leaves me with an SRT-4 or a Cobra. thats how i came to make this thread..

Lots of points were made, you just cannot unwrap yourself from the Neon. lol. You don't buy a car expecting to mod it immediately. Like Meade always says...you have to pick and choose what you mod, unless you are made of money and if that was the case, you wouldn't be choosing between two cars, which are far from comparable.

But other than IRS, you also have many other mods. Gear ratio (3.73 or 4.10s), Tremec TKO transmission swap, CAI, Throttle body, exhaust, etc...all which are 10x easier to find and change out yourself and/or repair if ever needed...and the Cobra isn't and hasn't ever been considered a throw away car.

You're looking for instant power, which the 01 Cobra lacks between these two, but you are missing the point of your 'said' ultimate goal, just to get power now.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Get the Cobra, and Idk where ive been but neons have never *turned heads*

Stage 3RS with a full 4 inch intake/exhuast and an HKS SSQV really do turn heads...than again that is pretty subjective, and i am in a school full of guys obsessed with these cars. So i don't know.

If you're in college and worried about impressing dudes I'd be seriously concerned.

At the end of the day the SRT-4 is still a Neon. My buddy owns one of the fastest ones in the country, and he will even tell you that. They are cool cars, but torque steer is a PITA, they sound like anus (Even stock), it's a bitch to drive, and to most college chicks it's still a Neon.

Also in your "350hp Neon will walk the Cobra" you're missing alot of key factors at the track. FWD is harder to hook up at that power range, the weight difference really isn't that significant, and the Mustang will just be all around easier to drive at the track.

I say get the Cobra, don't worry about a blower. Long tubes, O/R X, catback, GOOD shifter (MGW FTW!), 4.10 gears, CAI, and a tune and you'll have a plenty fast car that will sound wicked and turn heads.

I'm not worried about impressing "dudes" i'm into getting looks at the track, performance and aesthetics wise. And you are forgetting WHERE ill be racing... I am very aware that a RWD cobra will 60ft better than an SRT-4. But i don't drag race except on saturdays.... I race from rolls. we all know where and why. And an srt-4 60-140 roll, it's pretty much untouchable to a factory cobra. And... All of the stuff you just said is great, and then i'm gonna put a kenne bell on it ;) That's my prefrence. i will worry about blowing it, because it's the difference betweeen 400 and 600+ hp

LOL Kid your mind is made up. You won't listen to posts from people who have owned these cars and been there. I worked at a modular Mustang performance shop for quite some time and have seen what those cars can do without a blower. You have any idea how much it takes to get 600whp? It's alot more than bolting on a blower. A 2.1L KB will set you back ~$5,500 for the kit, then if you want to above 6.5psi (Which you will HAVE to do to make 600whp) you'll need to upgrade the fuel system, then gauges to monitor everything, then don't forget $700+ for a good tune. Most of those cars with an off the shelf KB kit barely break the 400whp range. You're not talking 03-04 Cobra and 600whp being as easy as a ported blower and a pulley change. The 01 internals are also not as strong as the 03-04 and about 450whp is pretty close to the limit on them. You're underestimating how fast a 400whp Cobra will be.

Getting looks at the track? Like I said, at the end of the day the SRT-4 is still a Neon. Performance wise it will be fast in a straight line, but will suck for auto-x, fast trips through the twisties, etc where the IRS Cobra will shine. Most people seriously underestimate the handling of those cars.

Roll racing isn't racing. If you're worried about a roll race buy a Supra. Running from a dig takes skill, a trained monkey can race from a roll. Lol

I never said it would be cheap to kenne bell it... And idk about 5500. They're in 5.0 magazine right now for 4,500. I know the 01 internals are weaker, i said in the first post that i would build the engine. Crank is forged, it only need rods and pistons. As for the fuel, KB covers that with the boost-a-pump. it's all in the kit, and KB offers flash tuning as well. Yes i'd have to get a gauge pillar, but those are all parts i'd factor into the build cost of the car. Not only have i seen one of these cobras, there are TWO at my school, both dynod at 600+ hp at 10-12 psi. The other problem with the 01 cobra is the half shafts are not as stout as the 03-04.

I know rolling isn't real racing, but it's what i do 99% of the time. And to be honest i'd never considered the cobra for anything BUT straight lines. It's an interesting point that it can handle it if i ever wanted to go that route.

As for you guys saying i have my mind made up.... I'm simply fighting for both cars... These are all the arguments i have in my head when trying to pick one or the other.

The $4,500 kit won't touch the power you want to make. The boost a pump helps, but doesn't make up for the fuel system you'll need to make power anyone that tells you it will is wrong. I've been around these cars for years. You also don't want to run a mailbox tune with that setup, you'll want to spend some time on a dyno. There is NO cutting corners when making 500+hp. I'm highly doubting there are 2 600whp 99-01 cars at your school. They ARE NOT common. If they tell you they make 600whp demand dyno sheets.

Half shafts suck in all 99-04 Cobras. Stock ones won't hold stock power with good tires at the track.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Archived