HP wants to exit PC business

Although the world is dependent on personal computers, making them has not been a great business for most American companies for almost a decade.Hewlett-Packard's announcement that it was considering offloading its PC business, even though it is the undisputed worldwide market leader, is a sign of the difficulties.

If HP goes through with the idea, it would follow IBM which was one of the first to recognise the long-term problems and, in 2005, sold its business to Lenovo, a Chinese company. Other American makers like Compaq (acquired by HP), Gateway and Packard Bell were absorbed by others or just faded away. Depending on how HP sheds the unit - it could sell or spin it off as a separate company - only two American PC makers would remain.

One of them, Dell, struggles for every percentage point of market share.The other, Apple, prospers. And the reason it does highlights the shift from a PC-centric era to one dominated by smartphones and tablets. HP, Dell and every PC maker worldwide, has been unable to make a tablet consumers feel they must have. HP has killed its tablet, the TouchPad, after just a few weeks on store shelves.

Computer makers are expected to ship only about 4% more PCs this year than last year, according to IDC. Tablets, in contrast, are flying off store shelves. Global sales are expected to more than double this year to 24.1 million, according to Forrester Research. More than two-thirds of those tablets, however, are sold by Apple. Sales of its iPad pulled in $9 billion in just the first half of the year, 30% more than all of Dell's consumer PC business in the same period. The joke in Silicon Valley: there is no tablet market, only an iPad market.

The other observation is no joke: Apple is the only maker with strong PC growth. Spending on desktops and laptops grew 16% in the latest quarter, while Dell's consumer product sales increased 1%. "The tablet effect is real," said Leo Apotheker, HP's chief executive, in an interview on Thursday, acknowledging that the TouchPad had failed to live up to expectations and that it would have cost too much to compete. "It's very different from where the business was going 10 years ago," Apotheker said.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-08-20/news/29909344_1_tablet-touchpad-pc-business

Can't really see a big company doing this.

its because you are looking at the small picture. The money isnt in the pc and laptop game. the money is in the server and computing game. If you knew what the cost of a rackmount server and all hardware to set it up right cost you'd shit yourself.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Their stuff are shit anyway. I stopped recommending them years ago. Their netw hardware cant compete either

Loudness is no substitute for musicianship, and partial deafness is no badge of honor. I was once able to hear this advice.

Build Log>>>

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...pid=672024&

New Build

Believe in the order

its because you are looking at the small picture. The money isnt in the pc and laptop game. the money is in the server and computing game. If you knew what the cost of a rackmount server and all hardware to set it up right cost you'd shit yourself.

This. HP has been alluding to this for several years now. I didn't think they would take it quite this far, but I knew their PC business was hitting the back burner eventually.

Their stuff are shit anyway. I stopped recommending them years ago. Their netw hardware cant compete either

Not only that, but service is shit as well. Never again will I buy an HP computer.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

I woder what will happen to dell

xspower.jpg

ShowImage-1.jpg

Had an estimate of 6400 for an alpine/clarion setup dealer said it "should" hit around 160db with the custom boxes he was going to make for me..doubtful with so much area to move but, budget is way below that :( any ideas on cheaper brands for that kind of Spl setup? really didnt want to try any Boss or soundstorm, thinking Quantum figure around $150 per speaker "$1800 total" and $1700 to power it, first actual big setup for the van.

New MEMPHIS CAR AUDIO build

4 15s Memphis C3

2 xs power D3100

1 xs power d3400

custom fiberglass door pannel

and lots more

My Build

Hopefully they get back to their roots and go business/ultra high end consumer only. Back in early 2k they made the mistake of getting into the "junk" computer business along with Dell, IBM, and the rest. I just find it ironic how many people here buy garbage computers and bitch about them yet they wouldn't be caught dead running an amp from the Radio Shack or Best Buy bargain bins...

I would assume over the coming years we will see all the big guys phase out the junk lines and get back to making quality. Sure it's cool to be able to run out and get a laptop for $600, but you get what you pay for. I honestly don't even look at anything south of $1000 (unless it's a referb or clearance or something). :pardon:

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

IMHO, HP>Dell

I've ran the same HP laptop since the beginning of 2008 and I've had absolutely no problems with it. Tech support is not needed if you know what you're doing with PC's, which honestly, is not very complicated to deal with. Even if you need tech support, I never had any issues with them. To me, Tech suppolrt is just getting drivers if I need them. Internal problems are a little more complex, but I never dealt with that kind of stuff from HP.

My current desktop is a custom built machine, however my friend has a nice HP desktop that I wouldn't mind picking up and just upgrading the RAM in it

The only drawback to HP, or any "store-bought" PC is the pre-loaded software. I'd never use any of it. Usually, what I do, and did with my notebook, was formatted the hard drive and just install whatever Windows OS it came with. After which, it is a really nice machine.

I'd be a bit disappointed if HP went into quit, because smartphones still will never be able to accomplish half the stuff PCs (or MACs) can. Also, they're not as blind-user friendl, for people like myself who can't see well and rely on screen magnification programs or screen readers.

Just my 2 cents.

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

"Audio Implosion" & "SubSonic Guillotine" available anywhere digital music is sold!

2007 Ford Focus

(NOTE: My cousin's build I helped him with)

Pioneer H/U

(4) Absolute Dome Tweeters on A & C pillars

Scosche HD683A's in front doors

Fosgate R168x2's in rear doors

SoundQubed HDS312 in custom 2.57 Ft^3 @ 30Hz

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

119aH/850CCA Marine Deep Cycle batteries

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DWRhythm