Sonic Electronix

what is the smallest gauge a remote turn on can be?

Chevyboy aka curt bet me that my amp would not turn on using 30awg wire. and it did, and through 30ft of it. 30awg is almost like thick hair..

22 is plenty.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

MOST amps draw about 0,3-0,5A for the turn on. 10001bd draws about 4A

i call BS, prove me wrong. ;)

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

well i think its some 18 gauge i got off of the old computer power supply. looks like it'll work100_0903.jpg

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

LMFAO!!!

if i still had it or my T500.2 i would measure it. i dont believe it though.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

LMFAO!!!

if i still had it or my T500.2 i would measure it. i dont believe it though.

About 8 years ago I installed a T10001bt that blew the remote out on 3 different radios (1 Alpine 2 kenwoods) in a day while tuning. I finally decided to check current draw and it was at 4 amps. Put it on a relay, done...never saw it again.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Sometimes if you have multiple amps it can draw a ton of current but a normal remote output will be fine for about 4-5 amps dependent on their current draw it takes to kick the amps internal relays on. I didnt clamp my remote wire because i really dont care what power it draws to turn on my amps and sound processor but it is running off 18 gauge wire with no problem. It is pure copper wire too. I had at one point 5 devices which needed to kick on when i powered my radio up. My 2 sub amps, my mids+high amp, my sound processor, and my radio bypass. It would handle all those turning on at once with just one remote wire off my radio. Sometimes like superjay said you do have to run a relay but luckily i have not run into that problem yet but if it does come up, they are super easy to fix and you can get a pre-wired mini spdt relay for like $10 and just wire it up and be done with it.

Either way the gauge wire doesnt make a huge difference, i personally wouldnt go any smaller than 18 gauge to help in case you happen to get an amp like superjay where it draws a lot of current to turn it on. You can always use speaker wire for the turn on. Im using 12ga speaker wire for my 3sixty.2's power and ground wires (overkill i know it but hey i had a crap ton of it sitting around). Also you can go to home depot or if you know a buddy or shop around online and get 14-12 gauge speaker wire in 100 foot rolls for like $15. As long as the wire is ofc (personal preference really, theres not a whole hell of a lot of current draw for just a remote wire in most cases) and has a decently thick jacket to protect the wire from shorting out im more than happy.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress