Stock electrical, what to upgrade first?

Ok I have a DC 5K, not yet hooked up. Im not looking to get 5k out of it just yet. I useded to run a 2k amp wich didnt do rate (hifonics hfi2000)and loved it but got the 5k cheap on ebay so I bought it :). My alt is a stock 160 amp alt. How many watts can I run on this? The 5k does a little over 2k at 2 ohms which is what im looking to get at the moment. Will it be fine on the stock alt and stock battery? And for the future if I did want to get full power of the 5k how big of an alt do I need? What about batterys?

Definitely upgrade batteries. Check out http://www.stevemead...-wattage-guide/ and that should help explain. What size is your front battery? I would run 2 batteries. The biggest you can get under the hood and one D3100 in the back. Then later if you go for the 5K, add another D3100 with bus bars

Its always better to extra batt. room. An Alt isn't need right now on 2k but wouldn't hurt. For fure for the 5k you will want a much bigger alt. I'd do at least 250 amp for 5k

Edited by graham0599

Big 3 in zero gauge and an extra battery. And. Watch your voltage and clip light.

99 expedition

Two 15 inch dc audio xls

Ported box tunned to 34 hrtz

Soundstream pcx.2000d(better amp soon)

0 gauge

big three(soon)

Yellow top,(more batts soon)

You will definitely need an extra battery. So I would suggest an extra battery first and look into getting an HO alt down the road.

Also if you check out DC Audio's website they give you their recommendations as far as electrical. I think its an HO alt, 1 battery in the truck and 1/0 gauge runs from the front to the back, and a volt meter. But I am sure some people that run DC 5k my be able to give you there input.

As long as you electrical can support it, I have heard nothing but great things from DC Audio. Will there be a build log :popcorn:

Edited by brownm3

Id get biggest alt you can fit comfortably (no need for a 350 or anything stupid yet) and biggest XS or kinetic you can fit under the hood. Then a D3100 in the back. Theres no such thing as overkill on the electrical imo, just way underkill. Also having the biggest you can fit now leaves room for upgrades later without having to sell the smaller alt for a bigger one for example.

I too would upgrade alternator first, then save up for batteries. And I would run two XS D3100s.

Side note...how you going to be able to wire at 2 ohms nominal then 1 ohm?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Thanks guys. Ill get the battery first. Since it cheaper. Then alt. I ran my hfi2000 on stock 130 amp alt in my yukon for a year and its still working so I think the 160 alt can do for now.

As for build log im done with the ugly box I made trust me you doent want to see it

And as for how im wireing from 2ohm to 1 ohm well as of now I only have 1dc xl 1ohm and im a wire to 2 ohms :) when I get the other ill wire to 1ohm