Measuring power by Clamping

TonyD'Amore

So the major point I am taking from all of this is that ALL amps are going to disappoint us on the AD-1, is that it? Basically it is going to show us lower than we were expecting from all our favorites? Am I reading into this correctly?

It's my understanding that most decent amp makers have equipment to test their amps and support their claims. They may not be as "over rated" as once thought. The Amp dyno isn't the first

So the major point I am taking from all of this is that ALL amps are going to disappoint us on the AD-1, is that it? Basically it is going to show us lower than we were expecting from all our favorites? Am I reading into this correctly?

It's my understanding that most decent amp makers have equipment to test their amps and support their claims. They may not be as "over rated" as once thought. The Amp dyno isn't the first

Right, but it's my understanding that this is the first of it's kind. So then how would amp manufacturers have equipment to test their products? Or is their "equipment" just an AC clamp meter, a scope, and a dmm? Sorry, but I've never heard of anyone claiming to have anything like this. And out of all the companies making amps, I'm sure tony would have been aware of one had it existed.

Sorry, but I just get the overwhelming feeling that the AD-1 is going to make all amps look bad, and that is what he is trying to prepare us for. Think about it. What if you made a machine that proved most of the industry wrong? I know I'd be a little cautious with it myself, especially if it was going to "piss a lot of people off"

But again, I may be reading into things too much, I tend to do that from time to time...

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Manufacterers have a device like this, but 100x more expensive.

THat's why Rockford amps,JL, or other high quality amp makers have a clamped output which is higher then rated.

Not only do better amps produce more power at a certain ohmage, but over a decent range.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

THat's why Rockford amps,JL, or other high quality amp makers have a clamped output which is higher then rated.

So is just an assumption, or do you know this to be fact? :stfu:

Not only do better amps produce more power at a certain ohmage, but over a decent range.

Yeah I know what you are saying, or trying to say. That was not the question, at all. But thank you for that input. :ehh:

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Yeah I know what you are saying, or trying to say. That was not the question, at all. But thank you for that input. :ehh:

most likely. :shrug:

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

most likely. :shrug:

Yeah, I just don't see why some people keep assuming that. Why would anyone try to invent something if it's already out there, just "100x more expensive"? Then it would have already been invented, correct? And wouldn't said companies be wanting to show off their results, if they had said equipment to do so? :puzzled:

Like I said earlier, I don't know, that's why I'm asking, not just assuming.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

In the car audio industry im just assuming, but in other industries i know they have testing equipment for accurate measuring. And with accurate i mean extremely accurate, as in you can only dream about it. Equipment like this costs range from 40-120k $.

EDIT: If d'amore joins, he can tell us.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

this is a good read....i dont understand all of it wither.. but i am glad you guys are being civil about it, so far. Thanks!

continue on. :peepwall:

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

I can do exactly what this ad-1 is doing with my fluke current clamp and dmm and dual probe oscope. And when I say exactly, I mean exactly. So what do you think audio companies are doing to get a rating on a bench? Lol

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

So does this mean like a Boss "1000 watt" amp is now only producing like 5 watts instead? :rofl: I would love to see the AD-1 on one :good:

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

Archived