Sundown Audio

sundown audio, obsidian audio, skar audio?

im looking at getting some of these woofers. i know jacob has said they are all completely different subs, with there own pros/ cons. but i havent found anywhere where anyone says what the pros and cons are to each company. ive hear that OA plays lower and SA are generally louder. havent heard much about skar audio, except a couple people saying they lack in sq. no idea on if there is any truth to this though. so anyone who has owned all the subs what are the pros / cons to each company?

please dont let this become a fanboy piss match. while im sure all 3 are amazing woofers, i just want to know as im sure many other people do, what the differences are in the subs.

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

No reason for it to become a pissing match, for the main reason Jacob is a common person behind each company.

While the SA is Sundown and Jacob, the Obsidian Audio is a joint company between Jacob and Nick from Stereo Integrity (SI), and from what I know Jacob has done a good bit of the designing and r&d for Skar Audio which is a partner company owned by Andrew and Kevin.

All woofers are very close in spec and are all 600wrms drivers with 2.5 inch voice coils.

The SA does offer a higher sensitivity over the OA and Skar, as well as a slightly higher BL.

Both the SA and Skar woofer use a reinforcement ring around the triple joint I know for sure, and Im pretty sure the OA is the same.

I know that the Sundown SPL coils can be used in the OA subs also.

I only have experience with the SA series woofers, also have 2 friends with the OA woofers.

Never heard or had hands on experience with the skar however.

Between all 3 woofers I feel the SA is the stronger woofer. But thats just my opinion.

:drinks:

Edited by Audiofanaticz

^ You are correct on all counts. The SA is the loudest out of the three mentioned in this thread (about 1.6 dB louder than an Obsidian and a tad more than that louder than a Skar) and it ought to be seeing as it is the most expensive at $195. Next in line is the Skar $179 and the most affordable is the Obsidian at $138 in a 12" size. I'm bias so I believe that the Obsidian is a superb contender in all enclosure formats in SQ and SPL. But if I was competing or I was going to throw 2000+ watts at a driver rated for 600 watts all day long I would go with the Sundown SA woofer as it has the most advanced VC cooling of any driver using a smaller coil than a 3". If I had between 600 and 1000 watts to throw at a single driver and wanted to compete here and there I would go with the Obsidian.

Edited by Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic

Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

Simon Eichenberger is the man.

My PM's are disabled.

^ You are correct on all counts. The SA is the loudest out of the three mentioned in this thread (about 1.6 dB louder than an Obsidian and a tad more than that louder than a Skar) and it ought to be seeing as it is the most expensive at $195. Next in line is the Skar $179 and the most affordable is the Obsidian at $138 in a 12" size. I'm bias so I believe that the Obsidian is a superb contender in all enclosure formats in SQ and SPL. But if I was competing or I was going to throw 2000+ watts at a driver rated for 600 watts all day long I would go with the Sundown SA woofer as it has the most advanced VC cooling of any driver using a smaller coil than a 3". If I had between 600 and 1000 watts to throw at a single driver and wanted to compete here and there I would go with the Obsidian.

Your bias because arent you the owner of the Obsidian CRX, and also got banned at caco ?

but i agree with what you said. lol

That is Nick he is the co-owne of Obsidian

1993 Mazda Mx-3

Subs: 2 18" DC Audio Lvl 4 D.7

Highs amp: Sundown SAX-100.4

Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D

Electrical:Kinetik 1200 under hood, 2-Kinetik 2400 rear

All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's

Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat

Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass

TeamSundown-3-1.jpg

DCSig.jpg

Your bias because arent you the owner of the Obsidian CRX, and also got banned at caco ?

but i agree with what you said. lol

Ummm... More like the owner of obsidian audio itself haha. And yeah he got banned from caco because the owner of caco is selling out, and is a bit of a bitch. (those are my words and have nothing to do with nick or his company)

And to the op, you'll love any of the subs, I have SA's and OA's and I would deal with nick over most people in the industry anyday. All the drivers mentioned are great

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

• 2 years later...

I have 2 Kicker CVR tens and I'm pushing a thousand watts to them I want to upgrade for sure! but I'm not sure who to go with I'm bouncing back and forth between obsidian and sundown myself they all look amazing but nobody in my town has any subs like that my subs are starter subs and I have one of the loudest systems in my whole town. LoL I'm looking to stay in the 1000 to 2000 watt range and my box is made to the cvr spl specs as stated in their owners manual. I love the punching tens, but I want more bottom lows! thank you for any advice and keep up the amazing work. -Niko