Second Skin Audio

Has anybody here ever done this.....

...or seen this done ?

> Alright, so say a guy can afford more / bigger subs than he can fit in his ride, and he has plenty of power too... just not much space...

What about running subs mounted face to face, with one wired out of phase ? I've read that this will basically give you the surface of one of the subs, but the motor strength of both.... and a guy can still say he's running 4 15"s, even though he only needs the airspace for 2 {or maybe even less.... wouldn't swear on that}

Anyway, from what I have heard this can work very well..... and all of the speaker parameters {F's, Q's etc} can be easily re-figured out. I think a couple are doubled, and a couple are halved...

Come on, re-teach my senile old arse ;) LOL

Peace,

Fish

i'm not sure i have an answer for this question, but isn't that called isobaric loading?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp

2nd one down

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

412 cvx you are correct it is called isobaric loading and here is some info from Wikipedia that i found fish chris about the isobaric loading style that might help you understand it a little better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_speakers

Edited by justin_garrett

1998 neon R.I.P 137.5 db's

Youtube videos http://www.youtube.c...tingarrett64067

2000 Eclipse

Headunit = pioneer avh-p1400dvd

Subwoofers = 2 DC audio lvl 2 12's

Amp= Vibe bass 5 1500rms @ 2ohms

​Single run of 0awg power and ground wire

( Big 3 wire upgrade comeing soon )

Yes, thanks guys.

Now, as a benefit to reducing enclosure sizes, I'm wondering how this would work in a transmission line build ??? As in > 2 18"s that only require 10 cubes total, instead of 20 cubes X's two ! Because 10 cubes I can swing.... 40 cubes is out of the question :)

Thanks again guys,

Good info,

Fish

Yes, thanks guys.

Now, as a benefit to reducing enclosure sizes, I'm wondering how this would work in a transmission line build ??? As in > 2 18"s that only require 10 cubes total, instead of 20 cubes X's two ! Because 10 cubes I can swing.... 40 cubes is out of the question :)

Thanks again guys,

Good info,

Fish

depends on the 18s man... lvl 5 18s are better in about 5.5 cubes a piece....

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

i want this to be very clear. isobaric loading requires very linear drivers to act correctly. at low volumes this is not as needed because subs tend to stay very linear on low power. BUT you are on SMD, chances are you wont be running low power

"Any non-linear behavior of the speakers affect sound pressure within the chamber, and could give rise to distortion components. In out-of-phase designs ("cone to cone" and "magnet to magnet" designs) this tends to occur because of front-to-back non-symmetrical behavior. These may also occur when the speaker driven to high levels for an extended period of time and the voice coils of the two drivers dissipate at different levels because of differing air circulation (one driver is exposed to the outside air, and one is fully enclosed in a chamber). One patented design attempts to attenuate this distortion by absorptive material between the drivers"

keep this in mind if you do end up trying this idea. high excursion subs seem like a bad idea to me

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

from what punkrok described, this sounds kind of dangerous. maybe that's why it's not that common.

:popcorn:

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.