Question about Alpine Headunits

My parents are trying to get a HU in their 05 Jeep Liberty, that they have had forever, since the stock radio doesn't have iPOD capability (of course). They are going up north to my grandma's house for Thanksgiving so I called the local shop there and asked him what they have in the $150 range for headunit with usb/aux on the front (I guess it's standard now lol). He told me the Alpine CDE-125bt (edited, I said 105 on accident), $150 then $60 for the parts, no labor (I'm guessing b/c they are getting it done on Black Friday).

Why does Alpine make you buy a $30 cable just for iPOD use? Can you still use the regular iPOD USB cable, if so, what is the difference?

This is the shop DFM Car Stereo, that's their demo car, walled and actually looks really nice. Next time I'm up there I'm gonna have to stop in! Too bad its 3hours away from where I live :(

Edited by wonderbreadSTS

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Difference is speed. I used just the the ipod cabke with that same unit whenever I had it about a year ago. And it worked fine. But in my honest opinion you're getting a little overcharged for that deck... By all means the deck is worth it. But just saying they have been replaced with a newer model already which dropped the value to that one

Sorry, what do you mean by speed? Searching for the songs/getting them to load up on the headunit?

Also, I got the model wrong lol, its actually the CDE-125bt. Crutchfield lists it for $200, so $50 less is a great deal.

Edited by wonderbreadSTS

2015 Mazda 6

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

I just got the Pioneer DEH-P8300UB a few weeks back after replacing a bad alpine H/U for $180 and i'm quite happy making the switch from it. I'm not sure if the CDE line is suffering from quality issues or not but it seems like they just aren't holding their own anymore compared to some of the other lines and companies. I would see what you can get for your range in price since you were going to spend close to $200 on everything and get something more capable with more options farther down the line if they choose to add some things to it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

They aren't going to add anything, just want something with ipod capabilities.

2015 Mazda 6

60$ for parts is a lot, do that most likely includes labor

Harness only runs 10-15 and dash kit about the sane

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

He said they need an antenna adapter or something along those lines. The headunit itself is set in stone, it's going to get the job done and that's what matters.

I'm just wondering why Alpine makes you by a separate cable and as stated above its for "faster speeds" but I'm not sure exactly what that means? They'll just use the cable that came with the ipod and also buy an iCable from Monster (like I did) if they want to use the iPod itself to find music.

2015 Mazda 6

If you want the iPod cable, I'll sell mine for like 10 bucks, I got a new one with my Bluetooth unit for my cda9887

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

That second unit is nice. And can be had pretty close to that price and 60 is alot for parts harness dash kit and antenna adapter come together for about 23.00 but that would mean for labor they're charging 50.00 which is not bad after all they are a ship and are saving YOU the hassle. Good deal in mi opinion. And yes song load up speed. Get the cable Ull like it alot better. . And if ordered off eBay or Amazon make sure its OEM the cheaper ones don't always work or work the same