How to live with clipped and distorted songs?

Can clipping be in songs bought through iTunes?

Definitely unless it's ALAC (Apple Lossless) but I don't think iTunes does that, the highest bit rate I've seen when bought through iTunes was 256kbps but I could be wrong.

There can still be clipping in Apple lossless.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Can clipping be in songs bought through iTunes?

Definitely unless it's ALAC (Apple Lossless) but I don't think iTunes does that, the highest bit rate I've seen when bought through iTunes was 256kbps but I could be wrong.

There can still be clipping in Apple lossless.

this

be leery of large flat bass lines when using WMP Oscope. we play clipped mids/highs everyday of our lives. the reason we dont ruin as many small speakers is less wattage which = less heat. theres a reason speakers have a RMS and Peak power rating... when you run your system with RMS power theres room to have some clipping because for split seconds the speakers can take double/triple RMS, aka peak power. now when everyone in their mother thinks they can double rms on their subs and play the loudest music available it doesnt take much for problems to occur

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Just don't blare it. I know for me I can tell if a song isn't sounding right so I either just turn it down or find a new song. I also try to get all of my music at 320kbps.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

But the $10K question is > Why TF do recording studios record anything clipped in the first place ? Oh sure, their will always be a bunch of dumb-asses on the street that won't know the difference, one way or the other..... But shouldn't a professional recording studio know when signals are clipped, and know how to avoid this ?

Hmmmm...

Fish

Just don't blare it. I know for me I can tell if a song isn't sounding right so I either just turn it down or find a new song. I also try to get all of my music at 320kbps.

i kinda thought along the same lines as fish on this matter. doesnt make sense why the studio doesnt put out 100% clean music. not saying there arent studios that dont, but i wonder what percentage of big record labels actually put out completely clean songs.

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

Does the bitrate of a song at all effect if it clips or not? most of my music is 128-320, with a select few under that, I even have 1 song that is 1411 bitrate, lol its 40.5mb big

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

exactly, for mids/highs u can hear distortion sooner. with sub bass you will notice a lot more voltage drop at a volume lower than cleaner songs as the clipping produces more power

i can clip a flac file... but the higher the quality the less likely compression resulted in some slight dc offset/clipping/red on audacity

a simple test is to find a loud song and open audacity, save it. reopen that file and save again but at a lower quality (96kbps for instance) and notice how there tends to be more red than the higher quality version. you might not even be able to hear the difference, but its there and thats clipping from compression. pretty common

But the $10K question is > Why TF do recording studios record anything clipped in the first place ? Oh sure, their will always be a bunch of dumb-asses on the street that won't know the difference, one way or the other..... But shouldn't a professional recording studio know when signals are clipped, and know how to avoid this ?

Hmmmm...

Fish

i mentioned this before in another thread. rick rubin one of the most prolific record producers always loved to "push the needles into red." red being clipping. its in all rock music. its what makes a kick, well, kick-y. its what makes that o so familiar thud in rap. studios blow tweeters, rock tours bake coils and car audio brah's fry amps. it benefits to know what sounds clean and what sounds dirty so you can proactively adjust volume/settings so you are less likely to do damage.

i kinda thought along the same lines as fish on this matter. doesnt make sense why the studio doesnt put out 100% clean music. not saying there arent studios that dont, but i wonder what percentage of big record labels actually put out completely clean songs.

plenty. but i dont think they anticipate their music shaking windows 2" back and forth. knowing your voltage at all times helps alot as that points out problems with bass clipping real fast

Does the bitrate of a song at all effect if it clips or not? most of my music is 128-320, with a select few under that, I even have 1 song that is 1411 bitrate, lol its 40.5mb big

compression can cause a little bit but nothing to really worry about. kbps should not be a determining factor if a song is clean, it justs means how much it was compressed from its original form.

a cd is 1411kbps, you likely have a lossless or flac file

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

So I can play most clipped music, as long as I use the reccomended RMS power? What did the guy mean when he said clipped signals are worse than clipped songs? How do you clip a signal?

PS:Another question. Is it generally a good idea to keep bass boost off? And if I keep RMS power for all my tweeters, mids, and subs, I can blare it full volume all I want?(Once again, keeping in mind, not swing my door shit).

Archived