DC Sound Lab

sounds like you possibly got coil rock...make sure your triple joint (where the former, spiders and cone meet) is all intact, make sure your spiders didnt come off the landing...

honestly i think its the spiders came of the landing causing them to slap the landing when playing and they need to be re-glued down. pull the sub out of the box and push the cone up from the bottom and see if anything looks out of place...sounds like an easy fix to me.

Damn... I wish you were right, but everything looks perfect

This is really difficult. Any ideas?

Edited by SnowDrifter

Free air - it makes this weird noise at all volumes which you can hear in the video. I thought it was normal but maybe not?

Free air - it makes this weird noise at all volumes which you can hear in the video. I thought it was normal but maybe not?

that didnt sound weird to me... maybe ur box is broken somewhere?

I stood on all sides of it and not a sign of moving (even the inner port walls)

Could it be the amp maybe? The AC voltage goes from ~105 down to ~60-70 when it makes the noise. I am having a hard time isolating the sub from the amp since I don't have another sub that can take the power from a crown or another amp that can push like it

Maybe its port noise? My smd's enclosure makes a TON of port noise when it gets really low but i am dealing with it. I would double check your port if it has one and make sure no parts of the box have cracks or leaks where the air can escape. It sounds like port noise or a leaky enclosure to me.

edit: since it sounded ok in the vid of it being in free air i would try to turn the sub on its side in free-air to see if it does it to you then since thats how the sub is orientated in your enclosure.

Edited by kickass audio

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Deffinatly sounds like coil it hitting something Its not moving much so maybe the pole piece

Like chode said Check all glue joints and spiders

Maybe I checked something wrong - but all the glue joints seemed solid

and an update:

I figured out it only does it at lower notes - above 40hz or so, it doesn't do it (NOT an excursion issue)

Anything around the tuning point it seems to have that issue

Edited by SnowDrifter

the woofer in my room does something very similar to this. only when i turn the amp up so much so i figure its like distortion and turn it down. its not noticeable free air for me either. :pardon:

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

the woofer in my room does something very similar to this. only when i turn the amp up so much so i figure its like distortion and turn it down. its not noticeable free air for me either. :pardon:

weird.

Where in Seattle are you? We might be able to meet up and get this thing debugged (I'm only pushing the amp around 1/3rd of what it can do - do I am definitely contacting crown if it is distortion)