LED's vs. DD-1

I wish there was a device that can tell you what kind of power each channel puts out. Not AD-1, but something like if you have 4 channel amp and each channel does 100wrms @ 4ohm, but speakers can only take 80wrms @4 ohms, you would just plug in the device and turn the gain up until it's gonna show that it's 80wrms :)

There is, its called a clamp meter and digital multimeter.

Once you clamp the amp you will know the power the amp is making.

There is now way to really tell other then that due to a speaker being a variable impedance, and with every frequency the speaker plays will result in a different amount of power being giving to the speaker. A

Another words if you are 100% sure the amp is making 80watts rms at 60hz, it does not mean it is making 80wrms at 100hz, or 50hz.

I wish at least the power at xx hz is consistent lol, or that they made something like a chart or something on amps and or subs that say...at this hz, this amp will make this power, and this sub will handle this power, and have it written in a way that everything just stops at a volume level of less than 1% thd and not be able to go any higher. Of course, i know that then again, all of those will vary dependant on different voltages, but i think there should be stricter regulations for specifications and ratings.

I wish there was a device that can tell you what kind of power each channel puts out. Not AD-1, but something like if you have 4 channel amp and each channel does 100wrms @ 4ohm, but speakers can only take 80wrms @4 ohms, you would just plug in the device and turn the gain up until it's gonna show that it's 80wrms :)

There is now way to really tell other then that due to a speaker being a variable impedance, and with every frequency the speaker plays will result in a different amount of power being giving to the speaker. A

Another words if you are 100% sure the amp is making 80watts rms at 60hz, it does not mean it is making 80wrms at 100hz, or 50hz.

I wish at least the power at xx hz is consistent lol, or that they made something like a chart or something on amps and or subs that say...at this hz, this amp will make this power, and this sub will handle this power, and have it written in a way that everything just stops at a volume level of less than 1% thd and not be able to go any higher. Of course, i know that then again, all of those will vary dependant on different voltages, but i think there should be stricter regulations for specifications and ratings.

also dependent on the enclosure. nothing in car audio is set in stone. which is why nothing like that has been made. just not possible.

I have used this one but I still prefer to use the old way. This one works and it does take a few seconds to read so it does not record peak burst power. http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/extech/clampmeters/380940.htm

If there was anyway Tony could make a better one I am sure ALOT of soundoff orgs and competitors would purchase one. Currently in dB Drag we are having a tough time creating power based classes without a consistant method to classify people if we go with power classes. We cant agree to go with power classes until we find a quick method to measure power that will be the same across the planet for everyone.

Steve or Tony, maybe at CES you could discuss this with Wayne Harris. There is definitely a market for an affordable power meter that has a readout and could be used in the lanes of many Sound-off orgs.

-Donald Hebig1989 Blazer S10 4x4-Four Fi BTL N3 15" "Ruthless bass!"-Four pair of American Bass VFL 8", 6.5", and tweets-Sundown SAZ 1500(2550wrms=156 dB) 92+ Psychlone RTA. Fully off-road capable street build. Built for music.-----------Bringing Sound Quality to a whole new level.--------------dB Drag: Personal best 161.3 sealed up and 158+ Bass Race.USACi: -Canadian SB5 Record holder-Canadian SM 4001+ Record holder

true, just like there is an oscope

What I mean is a device with lcd display that does all of the calculations for you. So all you need to do is plug in and play.

calculations? Its AC Amperage X AC Voltage = POWER. :trippy:

This thread makes baby Jesus cry! lol Merry Christmas SMD peeps!

You too bro!

That is actually wrong, I used to think the same until someone(Tony) shed a lil light on it. I felt like an idiot after he explained cuz I knew that, just ignored it lol. Anyway

AAC X VAC = VA(volt-ampes) or apparent power

AAC X VAC X pf = real power(Watts)

pf is always less then 1, that is the cosine of the phase angle of the voltage to current sine wave. You take the cos of that phase angle and you have pf(power factor). Clear as mud? LOL

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

• 2 months later...

true, just like there is an oscope

What I mean is a device with lcd display that does all of the calculations for you. So all you need to do is plug in and play.

Are you really that lazy?

i wouldnt call it lazy its just easier just like how we drive to and from everywhere better to drive 100miles than walk it right?