Second Skin Audio

Should i build this? You decide.

SkylarDunn

Its a tapped horn i designed for my 15" fi X BP power S4.

If you guys are interested in seeing how it performs, i'll build a test box out of OSB or chip board. Anyone interested?

Look how big it is, lol, good thing i have a suburban i could put it in.

d8O9z.png

The sketchup model was designed using 3/4" material.

It has 125.5in^2 of mouth area, and is tuned to 30.29hz with the quarter wave method.

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

I've been very interested in T-lines for a long time.... But this one just does not look like it could possibly work. I mean, the only way the sub could fit, would be with the motor facing that square opening. This would mean, the face of the sub is trying to play into a tiny little sliver of space. Seems WAAY too restrictive to me.

I dunno'..... maybe a program of some sort has taken this extra resistence into account, but still, it just looks wrong.

Hmmmm...

Fish

If you guys are interested in seeing how it performs, i'll build a test box out of OSB or chip board. Anyone interested?

d8O9z.png

It has 125.5in^2 of mouth area, and is tuned to 30.29hz with the quarter wave method.

I've been very interested in T-lines for a long time.... But this one just does not look like it could possibly work. I mean, the only way the sub could fit, would be with the motor facing that square opening. This would mean, the face of the sub is trying to play into a tiny little sliver of space. Seems WAAY too restrictive to me.

I dunno'..... maybe a program of some sort has taken this extra resistence into account, but still, it just looks wrong.

Hmmmm...

Fish

d8O9z.png

That's not a tline, its a tapered horn, and yes its meant to be mounted with motor out, obviously....

and they work very well, "IF" you are limited on power. but if u have a beasty amp "I" would go another direction with box .

i seen this sub drop crazy low and efficient off only 100 watts ! so if u have little power i would do it. that or a tline. but again if u have power then naw

Theres enough room for 30mm of xmax, my sub has 18mm lol, if it hits i can always cut out sheets of 1/4" to space it out.

and yes, it is a t-line, in the sense that is a tapered horn, which is a type of transmission line enclosure, its just not a constant mouth transmission line, most of the users on this would imagine when you say t-line

Im just making it because the specs of the sub are garbage, and it calls for a sealed enclosure. OSB is cheap, so i figure why not, might as well experiment and see how it sounds, if it doesnt sound very good, i have $20 worth of OSB to put in the stove in my garage lol. (wood burning stoves ftw)

Im not trying to break windows here, people. just dont have anything better to do.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

This could be completely wrong.... and yes, I know the difference between a T-line and a tapered horn, but the basic principle is so similar, that a lot of people use the terms T-line and tapered horn, interchangeably. A bull is still a cow. A tapered horn is still a T-line.

In any case, whether the air space was tapered or not, that subs face is nearly flat against that back wall. Can't see how this could work right.

Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQemT84DtM

I hope this helps you understand. I designed mine using 1.0xpi type.

edit: Heres a 12" kicker comp in a tapped horn, this box has probably 5x more folds than mine does, but it just shows the output of the tapped horn design. judging by his power, and cabin space, i might see a 140-143 with my FI X on 200 clean watts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzQ5py-aOo&feature=related

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Archived