Sonic Electronix

How do I check the dc offset of my amp? It's the Crown in my sig

Edit: Mods, let me know if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't decide between the pro audio section and the amps section

Edited by SnowDrifter

Don't know if this helps.

http://musicmasteringonline.com/members/content/view/303/32/

If you happen to be wondering if your getting dc voltage from your output's then i'm not sure on how to check that other than with an o-scope.

Darn, no way of doing it with a basic multimeter? No access to an oscope right now =(

not sure if this helps...

there are two ways to use that word. you have a DC Offset Protection circuit on that amp that disconnects the load when you've reach or exceeded 2v dcv. it mutes the channel and it'll light the clip LED until you disconnect speakers.

there's also dc offset, in the sense that when u look at the waveform of the song and zoom into the silent part, it should reside exactly in the center of the data range (point 0). if its above or below you will have either more +acv or more -acv. that amp tries to compensate and realigns the offset so you have equal crests and troughs

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

set your dmm to dc volts and read output. if there is no clipping and no offset it should read 0 or close to it IIRC.

the amp has a clip indicator already on it. no need to use a dmm.

thats why i asked if he was checking for this, where the 0 point of the waveform is not at the 0 point of the data range

Amplify-normalize_with_DC_offset.png

or

this

6_31_2.gif

TeamSundown-sig.jpg