Sonic Electronix

Using resistors to get the right ohm load at the amp

Say I have a d1 sub and an amp that is only stable down to 1 ohm. If I want to run it at 1 ohm, could I use 2 resistors in the place of the voice coils of another sub? If so, what sort of resistors should I get (or would any old 1 ohm resistor work?)

2005 Honda CR-V

AQ HDC315-A

Hifonics BRZ1700.1D .5 Ohm

4.4 ft^3 box

Kenwood Deck

Big 3

XS Power D5100R Starter, D975 Rear

dude recone the sub to proper coils or just wire to .5 ohm if your amo can take it! But the size of the resistors to increase impediance and the amount of heat it would give off would not be practical. just get right equoipment.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

There use to be a device called accumatch by stinger I think that allowed you to do that... pretty sure it was limited on how much power you could use though...

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Ray is right the accutech did that. Of course it was stupid expensive power limited and I havent even seen any in use in a long time.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

N8 I think we just gave out our ages... I know I'm old lol.....that was back in the 90s when soundstream was based out of folsom ca.. I use to drive to there door and get replacement tweeters from them..those were the good days..the accuvolt or accumatch... would allow the amp to see a certain ohm load constantly regardles of vc configuration... google it my friend

Edited by dc98hoe

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

You could also just wire one voice coil. Using a resistor would just be wasting any "extra" power anyway.

You don't want to wire just 1 coil of a dual coil speaker, if that's what you meant.

• pa-pa-platypus

• sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

just wire ur sub to 2ohm

everyone is so stuck on 1ohm

im runnin an old ass power acoustic amp at 2ohm and it pounds hard and is tight

dont hate on 2ohm just run it lol

probably because he wants more power....

but recone sub, safest way.

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

plus you gotta think, that resistor would be dissipating half the power as heat. So say its a 1000Wrms amp, and you do a 2 ohm resistor in parallel with the sub that's wired in series for 2 ohms to get one ohm. That resistor would be dissipating 500 watts ideally, so that resistor would have to be the size of 24oz monster bottle/can. Just wire the sub @ 2 ohms.

EDIT: Or do as Larry suggested too and get a recone.

Edited by Lbox88