So, after completing the little project in my friend Justin's Exploder, I found another victim that will let me work on his vehicle. Actually, it's a funny story, My Son David, who wants to be a fabricator, brought home buddy who wanted to build a system. So this one isn't just about building a system, but it's also about teaching two young men a new skill.

The Project: The owner, Robert, has a Nissan Versa. It's a small car that borders on my threshold of claustrophobic feelings. In my ultimate desire of always wanting to fit the square peg in the round hole, I am delighted to take part in Robert's vision and develop something insane in this little car. Of course, and in case you don't know this by now, if I'm doing it, it's got to be pretty (said "Prittay"). We are fitting 10 pounds of shit in a 2 pound bag guys. Here's the idea:

KickerDesign.jpg

Robert brought me the car already treated with Dynamat and I had him take out the un-necessary back paneling and seating.

cfd4c3e0.jpg

The beginning of some box work, no port yet:

09299bda.jpg

Oh, BTW, check it out, we spent some time on the shop. We (my Sons, Justin and I) put down some new white laminate countertops and painted all the cabinets. If you look back at Justin's build, you'll see how bad everything looked. It's all top quality now. I'm really happy about it....

Four boxes assembled together.

7a9c607e.jpg

Faceplate attached to boxes to make them all one piece, and all holes route red out. Don't pay attention to the pilot hole I drilled in the wrong place. Once I router out for the countersinking of the woofers, the hole will go away.

bf3b9176.jpg

So that's it for now. I started it last Friday, but had to leave for the weekend. Worked on it for a few hours today and had some fun with it. I'm really digging this stuff again. I realize we have a long road ahead of us on this one. I hope to teach these guys some good stuff, and maybe even share some stuff with anyone watching.

Later...

Funky Lu

WYLA Designs

What Ya Lookin At?

what made you do four seperate boxes?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

what made you do four seperate boxes?

Probably for easier removability if he ever needs to take it out my guess..

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

:popcorn2: The only benefit I see from 4 boxes is that with each box, if 1 sub blew, you could still play the other 3 without screwing up airspace, and that you can slide in smaller boxes separately and throw a faceplate on to make them one if you can't make 1 box box fit through the opening.

EDIT: Ninja'd

i asked him because not only is it more work its proven to not be as loud.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Well I certainly didn't mean to spark up such controversy over the box. There are several reasons behind it actually.

I originally wanted to do a sealed enclosure for all the woofers. Robert already had one proved enclosure at the manufacturer recommended air space that hit pretty hard so he asked me if we could do porte instead. It is my belief that no one knows their speakers better than the manufacturer so if they tell me their drivers work best in this box, I'm going to follow it. Based on physics, and basic laws of audio, every doubling of cone area will give me an additional 3dB. Therefor duplicating a box that already sounds great twice gives me a 6 dB increase over his initial box. The quadrupling of power will also gain us an additional 6dB. I project this will definitely be loud enough. The plans aren't to compete or anything of the sort at this point. He just wants a loud car and he's pretty specific about what he wants.

Now, there are other reasons. It is simple to fit the four separate boxes into the car and assemble them as one unit after they are in there. Second, Since each woofer has its own enclosure and all the enclosures will be stacked next to and on top of each other, it creates a doubling of my walls (stronger box). I also plan on adding a solid back panel on the box as well as solid side panels making all my walls 1.5" thick. We, of course will be resin coating the inside of the boxes for additional support. Lastly, remember, I have been out of this industry for about 12 years now. I am not looking to re-invent anything right now. I'm still getting in the swing of things. If anyone out there has used these drivers in a single chamber ported enclosure proven to perform better than the Manufacturer recommendations, I am willing to learn...

Here's today's progress:

I made a copy of the subwoofer:

92f5821d.jpg

Then I drew the copy onto another board and cut out an oversized negative of it:

82150435.jpg

7159758a.jpg

Then i filled the space between my oversized negative and the woofer copy with body filler and let it harden. Once the filler hardened, I made a copy of the negative. This gave me an insert, a ring, and a cutout for flush mounting the speakers into the box.

3d8ba2da.jpg

a38e7f30.jpg

I then used my new flush mount template for creating flush mount opening for all the woofers (one by one):

07c1d60e.jpg

2af96f79.jpg

And another phase of the project finished:

fbbfdf42.jpg

Notice the hell-ified round over on the ports. I just bought that bit. It was $150 for it, but I love the finish.

So while I played with routers all night, Robert spent some time applying resin to the inside of the boxes. You might be able to see it in some of the pics. It's one of those thing you're glad is there, but you don't necessarily want to look at it. Tomorrow's another day. See ya...

Funky Lu

WYLA Designs

What Ya Lookin At?

Archived