Second Skin Audio

Laminating and cutting 3/4 mdf?

You guys have any tricks or preferences when it comes to Laminating sheets of MDF togeher? Do you laminate it first and then cut out your pieces or cut your pieces first? Also, after you glue and clamp the sheets together, do you use alot of screws to make the bond stonger? Going to be building a box for 2 btls soon just looking for any tricks of the trade or helpful info, Thanks

notes, i have a motherload of pl400 subfloor adheisive and 1 1/4" coarse thread drywall screws. (for laminating the mdf)

Yea wood glue and wood screws. Don't forget to Drill pilot holes for the screws.

As far as laminating, I would laminate first let the glue dry completely and the make the cuts. That way your only making one cut and your cut looks cleaner. Others might have different methods but that's the way I would do it.

You would want to cut the sheets induvisually if your doubling up all sides.

cuts for the inside pieces will be different than the outside sheets if you build it right.

You want to interlock the corner joints, and you can not do this by gluing the sheets together first.

Screws or brad nailors will work. If your screwing, do not go screw crazy. You only want to screw every 4 inches or so, any more you actually weaken the wood! A lot of people make this mistake!

The glue holds the wood together not the screws or nails!!

It maybe best to clamp wood here and there to get them tightly together before you insert screw/nails.

Here is a picture of how you interlock the corners to make the joints on the box even stronger, However if you glue the sheets together and cut once you cannot do this. Its twice the cutting work but worth it.

2012-01-19013902.jpg

Ok, thanks for the input. So you don't need to use any screws on the surfaces of the mdf when glueing sheets together? and someone told me that industrail subfloor adheisive was stronger than a wood glue? it takes 48 hours to cure.

<<<You want to interlock the corner joints, and you can not do this by gluing the sheets together first>>>

Funny cuz every wall I build has interlocked corners and the panels are glued up ahead of time, even the triple layered ones. Just takes some thinking....

For a normal box you can just build the outer shell and add in the internal panels afterwards. If you're worried about the corners add small 45's to hold them together

<<<You want to interlock the corner joints, and you can not do this by gluing the sheets together first>>>

Funny cuz every wall I build has interlocked corners and the panels are glued up ahead of time, even the triple layered ones. Just takes some thinking....

Funny, if you glue 2 pieces of wood together and than cut them, mind explaining how your going to have 2 different cut pieces to interlock the other pieces when you cut both pieces after they are glued together like shown above??

Also why is your own team member having jeremy rebuild his vehicle since you build all the other team members?

Edited by Audiofanaticz