Light switch?

I was curious as to if you could hook up a light switch to the remote to turn the subwoofer on and off, im sure you can but will this damage any equiptment? I have a red switch that was being used for foglights is now unused, was curious if i hooked it up to that to switch it on and off if it could possibly damage anything, thanks guys. :drink40:

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

It will work just fine. You could wire the switch up 2 ways. You could use the input side of the switch to run off the remote output from your radio or just have a constant +12v ran to it. Im not sure how many amps you plan to run with the switch but for 1-4 amps running it off just the remote wire and the switch should do the job just fine. If it doesnt then just replace the remote wire with a constant 12v source.

Now please note: If you choose to run the switch off a constant 12v source you HAVE to make sure you turn that switch off when you leave the car or your amps will remain on and can drain your battery down. This is why most people use relays but its totally your call. If you can find a source that has an accessory power like sometimes your cigarette lighter has this where it gets power when the key is turned to ACC or on but when the key is turned to off the lighter has no power. This would be the most ideal way to run the switch if your remote output voltage/amperage is low on your headunit.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

single pole single throw switch that was running any light is adequate for a remote turn on as long as you are using your headunit's remote output to trigger a couple of amps

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

It's one single amp, so i'm sure it will be fine. Just wasn't sure if it was in the middle of a bass note and i turn it off then back on it it's going to mess anything up.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

In that case since its just a single amp then run it off your headunits remote wire. If anything heres the easiest thing you can do for yourself. Take the current remote wire going from your headunit to the amp and cut the wire in half near the headunit. Where the wire comes out of the headunit, connect that to the input on the switch and then the other piece that goes from the radio to the amp use that as the output of the switch and presto you have a working switch for your amp. It wouldnt hurt your amp if you kill it right in the middle of a bass note but i would always prefer to turn down my music before i turn any amps off and on to prevent that "popping" from the sudden surge of power being killed or introduced to the speakers. Some amps dont tend to do this as they wait to power on until they are fully charged up but some cheaper amps dont and those are usually the amps that make a very quick popping noise on the speakers if you have music playing and the amp kicks on.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

It's one single amp, so i'm sure it will be fine. Just wasn't sure if it was in the middle of a bass note and i turn it off then back on it it's going to mess anything up.

its like turning your car off during a bass note..

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived