AGM battery + Cold = frozen?

Hello SMD peeps,

I had a kinetic hc800 in my previous car (2003 civic). I drove it every day to school/work (over an hour a day of driving). We got some cold weather ( -14 degrees Fahrenheit) and I started to notice some voltage drop... had a hard time starting... and finally one morning I went to start it and nothing. I had a friend who was a mechanic come and try to boost me... the battery was smoking. He took a closer look and he told me it was frozen. The kinetic lasted me less than 3 months...

I am hesitant to buy another battery like this one. I really want to upgrade my truck's battery (2010 F150). With the group buy for xs power going on and all it's a perfect time for me to do it. My question is this: why did my battery freeze and will it happen again if I buy another AGM battery? I know optima batteries work well in the cold, but I would rather buy XS Power.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hif

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

I know lead acid batteries don't do good at all in the cold...we did a test on one in my engineering magnet and after 15 hours in sub-freezing temps the lead acid battery had bulges from chemicals expanding inside and was done for...AGM on the other hand we did not test but I have read about tests with them before and they do considerably better in cold temperatures however its not ideal for them and they still can be damaged, all batteries have chemicals in them and are subject to change when exposed to extreme temperatures if your car was outside in that -14 degree weather for long enough it most likely wouldn't of just did that to your particular battery but a lot of different batteries..when you know theres cold weather next time start up your car if its sitting around to keep at least a little warmth in it...

I dont have a kinetik battery however i do have several xs batteries in my truck and they have always put out a ton of power and never fell below 12.8v even in the coldest weather i had them in (-10 degrees Fahrenheit) it never had any problem cranking my truck and i even went right in to blast my system right after i started the truck up for a minute. It sounds like the battery itself may have just had a defect in it. AGM should never freeze as there is no actual moving liquid like normal wet cell batteries that come with your car when you buy it. XS power actually cut open a XS D3100, kinetik, and an optima battery in a video on youtube and they all will not spill any liquid as they are pretty much like concrete in there for the acid being suspended.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Hello SMD peeps,

I had a kinetic hc800 in my previous car (2003 civic). I drove it every day to school/work (over an hour a day of driving). We got some cold weather ( -14 degrees Fahrenheit) and I started to notice some voltage drop... had a hard time starting... and finally one morning I went to start it and nothing. I had a friend who was a mechanic come and try to boost me... the battery was smoking. He took a closer look and he told me it was frozen. The kinetic lasted me less than 3 months...

I am hesitant to buy another battery like this one. I really want to upgrade my truck's battery (2010 F150). With the group buy for xs power going on and all it's a perfect time for me to do it. My question is this: why did my battery freeze and will it happen again if I buy another AGM battery? I know optima batteries work well in the cold, but I would rather buy XS Power.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hif

i dont think the batteries they have on sale for the group buy are not able to be used for under hood applications

Thanks for the input guys. I live up north in canada and it gets really cold for long periods of time (months) so I cant keep starting my car every 30 min to keep it warm lol. I was told by XS Power that I would be fine in the cold but I would have to get that in writing before I used another AGM battery. I'll think more about it and maybe do it... but I will always be skeptical now.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log

my xs 3100 is doin fine an it just snowed

Yes, but it was just barely under 32 degrees when it snowed on Sunday in NC. Not that it matters but he said the temp there was -14 and that's a 46 degree difference then what the temp was here when it snowed.

On the topic though the Kinetik 800 is not a strong battery to begin with and the cold on top of your vehicle and stereo use is definately why it died so quickly. You were using a battery comparable to a AAA battery to do the work of a D battery. You didn't have enough to begin with and never gave it a chance.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

my xs 3100 is doin fine an it just snowed

Yes, but it was just barely under 32 degrees when it snowed on Sunday in NC. Not that it matters but he said the temp there was -14 and that's a 46 degree difference then what the temp was here when it snowed.

On the topic though the Kinetik 800 is not a strong battery to begin with and the cold on top of your vehicle and stereo use is definately why it died so quickly. You were using a battery comparable to a AAA battery to do the work of a D battery. You didn't have enough to begin with and never gave it a chance.

Very good point. I guess I'll never know unless I try it again with the right battery

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log

kinetik is junk thats why you had isues the shittiest battery in the market.. recycled parts 100%

its been 20 below here for days and i never have a issue.. and my car sits in the freezing weather for 4 n 5 days before ill go start it.. and when i do the batteries always rest at 12.9 to 13v..

ive also ran shuriken, deka, batcap and never had a issue with them.. did have a kinetik 2400 for 3 weeks until it swelled and lost total charge

Ya my kinetic swelled up after I put the charger to it trying to revive it... Thank you very much for the input! I am tempted to buy a nice XS Power... It would be sweeet

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP