So, how many out there set gains with 0db instead of -5db tones?

I'm just curious to what people's standards are here at the SMD community. Do you guys tune your mids with 0db or -5db test tones?

Right now I have both my mid and sub amps tuned with 0db test tones, but I am thinking about going back and retune the sub amp to -5db.

A lot of music today have clipping so I need some opinions so I can retune if needed :)

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

if you like to burn up gear then by all means set it with 0db. -5 is what all mine are set with.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

nball I thought setting with 0db test tone means you're much safer when playing music because the test tone track will be louder.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

shit actually Im backwards. been a long day.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I'd set it with -0db tones, but at a number on your volume knob a step or two under HU clipping. That way, you know where your threshold is and when you're dipping into overhead. If you just go by the -5db tones, you can get into clipping and not know it.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

i have used the -5db test track for mine and it sounds good ive checked songs in audacity and there around -8db

That's rare. Most properly "mastered" recordings are fairly close to 0db to get as much dynamic range from the medium as possible. If you're using recycled music (dubbed, remixed, chopped n screwed) then it's likely you're either throwing away dynamic range or clipping all to hell and back. Sorry I trust pro studio engineers a lot more than youtube mixmasters.

If it's not loud enough at 0db, get more power.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived