Second Skin Audio

Subs that play low

O you mean low enough that its just worthless. No sound coming out just pressure. the whole i wanna sub that plays in the teens is so damn pointless unless you just wanna blow mo ey eventually fixing things that break. And bumping test tones.

Nearly anything can play well down to 25hz with the right box...it's really not hard to get low, since you're going to have to sacrifice overall output in order to do so. How much you have to sacrifice will pretty much be the only difference.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Before I reply to anybody, I forgot to mention that I was thinking of doing a removable port so the original tuning would be higher than when I put the removable port it. So more port area/cu ft and higher tuning w/out removable port in (peakier), and less port area/cu ft and lower tuning with the removable port in (more musical?). So I would originally tune it to somewhere between 30-35Hz, and then with the removable port in try calculating it to have a tuning of mid 20Hz's or something for when I listen to stuff that gets low.

Now that everybody knows this, how does this sound?

O you mean low enough that its just worthless. No sound coming out just pressure. the whole i wanna sub that plays in the teens is so damn pointless unless you just wanna blow mo ey eventually fixing things that break. And bumping test tones.

Go back and read. I like listening to C&S stuff. And what do you mean blowing money eventually fixing things that break? And as for test tones, when did I say anything about those? Think you read the wrong thread...

And getting loud low in a trunk??

I know I won't be doing 50's or anything, I just meant that I'm looking to be able to play low but still be loud around those lower frequencies. The box I've got right now is tuned to 32Hz but is hella peaky around my resonant frequency (low 50 Hz) and seems to not be as loud when I play below 40Hz. I even re-measured after I built the box and all and it's still got a tuning of ~32, I just built it with a port area/cu ft of 16.something. So when I said loud and low I was looking for some advice on how I'd build the box to seem more "musical" instead of peaky. Sorry for any confusion

Nearly anything can play well down to 25hz with the right box...it's really not hard to get low, since you're going to have to sacrifice overall output in order to do so. How much you have to sacrifice will pretty much be the only difference.

Yeah, that's what I've seen is some people who have boxes tuned to low 30 Hz's can play songs that dip into low 20s perfectly fine without having to turn the volume down, and at RMS rating of the sub. Any tips for designing a box that would allow me to play this much lower than tuning frequency?

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif