So please teach me something here....

I have heard many X's that once an original song is clipped, your pretty much screwed.... or to put it another way, their is not a good way to fix it.

But then I read that it's very easy to completely remove a bass line (or trebles or mids, for that matter) and to replace those lines with your own version... louder, quieter, deeper, or whatever.

So, if a bass line is clipped, and you basically completely remove it, isn't the clipping now eliminated too ?

Not that I would even have the skilz to attempt this myself... but it would at least be nice to know such a thing was possible !

Anyone ?

Fish

This actually makes sense to me. If a song has hardcore clipping bass at like 35 hz and you run a high-pass filter and take out everything under 80hz and make your own clean bassline, that sounds like it should eliminate clipping. It might not be 100% gone but it'd be worlds better than the original version.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

This actually makes sense to me. If a song has hardcore clipping bass at like 35 hz and you run a high-pass filter and take out everything under 80hz and make your own clean bassline, that sounds like it should eliminate clipping. It might not be 100% gone but it'd be worlds better than the original version.

This, seems like it would work (for lower frequencies).

Id like to hear what decaf has to say.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

i thikn its a lot more effort to do that than most are realizing

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

itll sound pretty stupid unless you are really careful and precise but it does nothing for your clipped highs

let me explain:

if you have ever looked really closely at a wave of music you will notice that the higher frequencies essentially "ride" on the lower frequency. so if this fundamental frequency is clipped then all frequencies on it will be clipped as well

so yeah cut out your bassline you will still hear an annoying distortion sound coming from your mids and tweets. just be aware of that

Edited by IH8PunkRok

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Ofcourse you can attempt to do that, but placing sine waves ontop of all the mids/highs is no easy task without finding each beat, 4 count, etc. you need something to base timing on. In audacity its very difficult to properly time the notes down to the millsecond.

The above member has it correct that the mids/highs ride the bass lines. Picture the usuable data range of music as an ocean but with a ceiling at 30ft. If there are surfers(mids/highs) riding big waves they are fine as long as they dont go above the ceiling... once they get pushed into the ceiling you can never recover the lost body parts pushed outside the cieling. So yes you can remove the problematic waveform, but the distortion present from clipping will remain.

Lets say you have a 30hz note with 2f and 3f distortion from clipping, or even just that the artist wanted that sound(lex luger for instance) and you highpassfilter it at 80hz... because the filter is sloped some of the 60hz will reside and all of the 90hz with reside with the mids/highs. So then you spend about 30min-60min adding in proper sinewaves only to combine them and it still sounds odd.... that is the remaining distortion you could not remove.

The solution is to use higher crossover points but then that degrades balance if instruments were located within the filter slope.

Lastly, if a song clips its not just the bass affected, any note during the surpassing of 0dB is affected. You can also have distortion/flat bass lines below 0dB, which is why Audacity's "show clipping" is not the best indicator of detrimental clipping.

I'm at work now but i can post pics when I'm home to visual what I'm explaining

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/396232_3200453882958_1014379508_33088559_832649618_n.jpg

I tried taking a screenshot of Hustle Hard by Ace Hood and I have it zoomed in 12x in Audacity. The track on top is the song, the portion on the bottom is where I added a 45Hz tone. You can see on the top track that instead of being wavy like the tone I generated, it's flat at places where the bass hits.

I'm not sure how to best describe this, but I think this is the harmonic distortion that Decaf was talking about on tracks produced by Lex Luger

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Examples of purposeful distortion would be "North Pole" or "In Love With A White Girl"

An easy way to distinguish is fine the peak in audacity and generate a sine wave of that frequency. Listen to the pure clean sine wave, then listen to the song with the same note and you should be able to hear the difference.

Even order harmonics(2f, 4f, 6f) add a warmth and usually pleasant matching quality whereas odd order harmonics sound misplaced, going against the grain or unsettling sounding.

Tube amps are notorious for adding even order harmonics...often people say the sound of tubes amps is more natural and live sounding. So harmonics arent always a bad thing, but when u have low bass notes and the 2f falls within the subs passband(between subsonic and lpf) you get a rather unpleasant sound compared to a clean note.

Most of rock has distortion, i mean comeon... they use a distortion pedal, lol. Dubstep mids are notoriously harmonic and can really give ur mids a workout. Most of distortion from sub bass can show up in the mids spectrum but can be masked by the sub trying to produce the same notes.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg