Sonic Electronix

It's a quote, inside a quote, inside a quote... I must go deeper!

...no you dont. people who keep doing unnecessary stupidly long quotes should get a fucking 24 hour ban. i dont need to have to scroll halfway down a fucking page to get to the next post

haha in just to see if r0llinlacs comes back

I know, I check the thread daily waiting for his supposed superior knowledge.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Dont 18" subs generally get lower than a 10 or 12 due to a lower resonace or something, and beacuase the 10s and 12s would "peak" at higher frquencies they would be tighter and more accurate and the the 18 would sound worse. Is that maybe what theyre talking about worse quality from the 18?

Maybe? Just a thought

Basshead-in-Training

Dont 18" subs generally get lower than a 10 or 12 due to a lower resonace or something, and beacuase the 10s and 12s would "peak" at higher frquencies they would be tighter and more accurate and the the 18 would sound worse. Is that maybe what theyre talking about worse quality from the 18?

Maybe? Just a thought

No.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Maybe? Just a thought

No.

Oh...well thanks for clearing that up for me.

Basshead-in-Training

Maybe? Just a thought

I can definitely say it is easier to hit lower frequencies easier with an 18" than a 10". But the reason is because of the huge increase in cone area. Not because of the reasonance. The fs of a sub dosnt mean much once it's in a box.

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

Didn't all this confusion start in the 90's when people would just throw a pair of pyramind gold 15's in a crappy box powered by a pyramid gold amp and run their L.P. at 100hz and wonder why it sounded like crap compared to their buddies JL audio 10's that had a 80hz l.p. and a good box and amp? I'm just suggesting that it's possible that speaker design has improved and that when you compare the moving mass of an 18 to that of an identical 10, the difference in weight is so minimal coupled with the crazy ass motor structures today that it just might be that the difference in quality cannot be perceived by human ears?

I mean if you basically have what amounts to Usian Bolt on steroids in a adrenalin fuelled rage moving the speaker cone i doubt a few grams of weight are going to make any difference.

The main reason that "Audiophiles" And SQ dudes do not use 18s very often is simply because they do not need to. In most cars it is difficult to design a proper SQ enclosure for an 18 so why take up all your room when you can get the same effect from a smaller woofer in the proper enclosure.

If anything, people have been trying to get 10s and 12s to sound like 18s for over 20 years.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Not a shop around here with enough common sense to make it worth my while buying anything from them.

1 '12 Massive Audio TORO 124