Second Skin Audio

Bass imaging?

BobbyG2

I was more wondering about how well it would do imaging, than how well it would do in a SQ competition.

It's probably a little impractical and difficult, but so is any large or out of the ordinary build, and this is both.

And I'm sure there are 18's out there with just as exceptional sound quality as the smaller SQ woofers...

Sure there is, here is one:

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=293-666

As all SQ stuff is really expensive.

You weren't kidding about the expensive part....lol. I wonder how good those TC woofers really sound, would love to hear one someday. I'd assume you would get what you pay for.

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

The problem isn't the sub not reproducing the frequencies, it's that an 18" sub will overpower almost any components out there. Sq systems are about trying to reproduce music as closely as possible to how it was recorded. So loudness is not a goal in these systems.

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

do you understand what imaging really is? imaging with the sub stage is trying to make it sound like the subs are in the dash. everything should sound like its in front of you and none of the speakers should stand out where you could close your eyes and point straight to them.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I run 3 18" in a sealed wall with 10" midbass in the doors and ID horns. Not an sq system but it is really clear and loud. The wall plays 60hz and down. (ssf 25hz) When I get an MS-8 it should be pretty nice. It transitions through music really well but the chopped or slowed stuff doesn't have much impact. Doesn't really bother me though because I only have like 50 rap/hip hop tracks out of 28 gig of music. lol I didn't even know what this music was last year.

If you were to go sealed make it on the larger side to help with low frequency extension. It is still plenty loud and i am more than happy with the output.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I was listening to some of my music on a pair of headphones and noticed that in some of my music they imaged the bass.

I'm not really concerned about whether they would blend in and not overpower my components, but more if it's possible to get a differentiation between left and right bass.

I might just give up with this idea and just do a large ported enclosure tuned low... Or maybe for better SQ infinite baffle.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

I was more wondering about how well it would do imaging, than how well it would do in a SQ competition.

It's probably a little impractical and difficult, but so is any large or out of the ordinary build, and this is both.

And I'm sure there are 18's out there with just as exceptional sound quality as the smaller SQ woofers...

Sure there is, here is one:

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=293-666

As all SQ stuff is really expensive.

You weren't kidding about the expensive part....lol. I wonder how good those TC woofers really sound, would love to hear one someday. I'd assume you would get what you pay for.

Yeah, they are expensive but they got ALOT cheaper! I remember back in 08-09' when I 1st heard of them they were somewhere around 2000-2200$$ And that's when they rated them @ 5k now their rated @ 2k. Those beast can still take 5k & sound EXCELLENT! :yahoo:

I don't got that bad of a mouth, do I? Fuck Shit Ass Bitch Cunt, Shooby-de-doo-wop.Skibbedy-be-bop,a-Christopher Reeves!

THE FUNNIEST U WILL EVER HEAR!!: Bak in 2010 my old neighbor gave me a demo of his 2 cvr's. It wasn't LOUD and I told him that. Guess what comes out his mouth? "Idk bro its usually louder, I guess it still has an ATTITUDE, It tends to get mad @ me every now & then when I turn it up too much!" :rofl::rofl: What the fuck! I was like.. " R u serious u CRAZY DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!"

Ahh, I luv the Forum & the Forum luvs me!!(STL)

left and right? well shit, of course thats possible. you will probably want two mono amps, on for each sub, and make sure your HU's sub output is stereo. make sure the subs are in seperate boxes.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I'm not really concerned about whether they would blend in and not overpower my components, but more if it's possible to get a differentiation between left and right bass.

The problem with this quote is when you get into Sound Quality, you have to take in ALL considerations ... Just as if you was installing a IMAX theatre in your living room ...

Same difference ... Judges listen to a well built home theatre system to tune their ears for Sound Quality judging ...

Yes, bass has a very large focal point in most Sound Quality music ... but only when needed and not to overpower the rest of the system ...

I've seen a few SQ vehicles with 18s in them ... but not .5 ohms and crap ...

the sub stages are mainly ran in stereo like the rest of the system for sub driver control, not just to play low bass ...

My 4 10s are tuned to 22 htz and the crossover is set normally to 50htz meaning my subs aren't needed until 50htz and lower ... (my 6.5" drivers are set full range)

Front drivers, center channel, rears, and subs ALL contribute to the front stage and image ...

A SQ system can be very loud ... my truck does a consistant 138 - 140db at 28 htz every time it goes on the meter ... and I beat as much dubstep as anyone else at a show ... but every demo must stage and image, sound clear and dynamic, and have plenty of headroom ...

If you want to run 18s in your SQ system ... Great, I'd love to see it ... just do your homework and be well thoughtfull on your installation for stage and image if you REALLY want the opinions of audiophile technicians ... Installation is the key ...

Our team at one time built a system with 144 12s in it ... We had no problems pulling it up into a Sound Quality lane ...

Sound stage and image was insane !!!

Hope this post helps out some ... just a bunch of suggestions ...

Thank you ...

Randal ...............

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived