Sundown Audio

Louder on lower watts?

nvm not gonna do the guessing game

Edited by deathcards

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

you would definetly hear a difference between 600 and 1000 watts. you are almost doubling power. from experience i definetly could tell the difference. sounds like he bought a amp that doesnt do what it says it can

To double the loudness you need 10 times the power. 400 Watt´s is to hear but gives the sound something what i call solidness.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

you would definetly hear a difference between 600 and 1000 watts. you are almost doubling power. from experience i definetly could tell the difference. sounds like he bought a amp that doesnt do what it says it can

To double the loudness you need 10 times the power. 400 Watt´s is to hear but gives the sound something what i call solidness.

im not saying it would be double loud, im saying you can definetly tell if there is 1000 watts vs 600 watts. You even said it your self. it gives the sound a solid tone. not weak bass, full round sound. thats what im saying

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

pfft.

he didnt say double the loudness, it is about being noticeably louder. Usually to hear a "difference" in general loudness the somewhat rule of thumb is double the power.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

So a while back I swapped out my Soundstream DTR1.900D for a higher watt amp that is supposed to be running 1000w at 2ohms as apposed to the 600wrms or the soundstream.

I am not going to mention the name just to avoid the potential issues of the VS thread rule but lets just say it is an amp that has been clamped doing what it says it will do.....and that is 1500 at 1ohm and 1000w at 2ohms....

Now the DTR is 600 at the load I got it at while the other is at 1000w, the sound difference is night and day.

For some reference....while building a more efficient box for the 15 I felt I should have some fun and free air it a little, just for kicks I gained it a few degrees from full gain for a few seconds. I only did this because I felt it wasnt running it very hard and no bottoming was heard, and this was on 1000wrms?!?! :throwrock:

I didnt free air it on my soundstream but after having the sub in the box I went out and did a test listen, finding the new amp to be...uhhh....not so loud I threw the DTR back on it...barely any gain at all and it was already just as loud... having like 240 degrees of knob, maybe like 90 was enough to bottom out the sub..It scared the piss out of me not expecting it so I gained it way back down.....

:WTFBubble:

someone explain to me why this amp is louder but deffinately not as powerful..

I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 12" Kicker CVX dual 4 ohm and I did have them hooked up to a PPI PC21400 bridged at 4 ohms running 1400 watts. It was loud. I wanted more power so I bough a Crescendo BC2000d and wired my subs down to 1 ohm. So you have 1400 watts out of PPI (probably more) vs. 2400 watts out of the Crescendo.I swear the PPI sounds better and louder. Is it because the PPI is a class AB amplifier? Maybe someone could help me out with understanding this..

Tony

Edited by tvcincy

Where you using bass boost on one and not the other, did you check to see if they had the same LPF settings, maybe you have the new one crossed over way lower.

Edited by strangeduck

Well, here's a few factors

Did you use the same wire for the 1000 as you did for the 600? Could be limiting the current on the 1000, thus producing less watts

Did you set the gain right? Every amp has different voltage sensitivities

Every amp behaves differently

I have a friend who went from a Boss 120x2 watt amp to an MB Quart FX1.600 600 rms amp, and he told me the boss used to be louder on lower volume, while the MB Quart is louder on higher volume, but then again, he's using the stock headunit, so could be voltage problems there.

So you need to match the amp's gain accordingly with the headunit.

Edited by Omega5002

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Where you using bass boost on one and not the other, did you check to see if they had the same LPF settings, maybe you have the new one crossed over way lower.

In my case I was using bass boost with my PPI and not my Crescendo. The difference is with Crescendo the bass boost frequency is 45 or 48 hz, I can't remember which. On thee PPI there is a unique feature which allows you to boost the bass at 4 different frequencies - 30hz, 36hz, 44hz, and 60hz. I had it on 30hz boost. It stink that you can't do that with newer amps, pick the boosting frequency. But the PPI seemed like it was louder and sounded better although the Crescendo was much more powerful.

taking a shot in the dark here since we dont know what the second amp is but its possible that you have alot of rise and the soundstream is more efficient with a higher ohm load than the new amp. there is a major difference between reactive and nominal loads you may be wired to 2ohms nominal but rising to 8ohms reactive or something

team chat assholes ftmfcsw

skittlesRgood[/color]' timestamp='1337803095' post='2027302']

go for it. 1st off, you couldnt get past the gate. second, i wouldnt even hear your system inside my house. third, i would just turn mine up and drown out your system, eat my skittles, and laugh at your pathetic ass.

Couple things to check.... your low pass crossover setting on the new amplifier turn it up to it's maximum number they come shipped all the way down. Secondly the starting ohm load and the finally ohm load after impedence rise. Playing the sub outside of a enclosure has a huge effect on rise and can put you out of rated power range. But first check the new amp setting get some clamp measurements if possible cause that will tell you alot ( atleast your starting ohm load via a multimeter).

NSPL 2001 Trunk 251-500 world champion. 2009 2nd place 0-1800 147.9 under 1800 watts. 2011 0-3601 Trunk Champion. No Typo Current 0-3600 Trunk WR Holder! 149.9 (0-1800) /147.5 (1801-3600) /???.? (3601-up) need new front window first! TEAMHIGHX-CURSIONsig-1.jpg

Learn to be quiet about what your workin on.. L O S E = (L)etting (O)thers (S)ee (E)verything