Can you guys help me figure out what's wrong?

I have a 97 Saturn SL1. I just bought it maybe almost 2 months ago. The first month I didn't really get to use it cause I didn't get to get my plates until the second, but I drove it around for fun a couple times around the neighborhood. It's not till this month I started noticing that there's sort of a rattle, I'm not sure where it's coming from but it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust. My first time I filled my tank was not too long ago, and I added chevron techron. I also just changed the oil today. But before I changed the oil and after I used chevron techron, my check engine light came on. I went to autozone and they gave me the code, it's P0133, the definition on the receipt is: H02S11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1). I'm no experience mechanic (obviously), but I was hoping you guys could help me solve this problem and tell me what I should do first.

Oh yeah, and I know the rattle and the oxygen sensor problem are probably two different problems, but I was hoping you guys could help me fix both.

Edited by Eduardo Andrade

Clarion CZ401

Power Acoustik LT-980/2

dbLink 8 gauge kit

DXi 104 4 ohm DVC x2

Sealed Enclosure

the rattling could be from a heat shield i know on my impala i have one that rattles when i rev the engine could still be something else though

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Ya its not going to be a converter, they rarely go bad .But it sounds like the 02 sensor went bad. A slow response does not mean you are running rich. Seriously you guys are picking things out of your asses, if you dont know or even have a clue ,you should probably not say anything . Best thing to do is clear the code, and see if it comes back on .If it does, then it needs to be hooked to a scanner to see the actual 02 readings . Or you could take the chance and replace the sensor . Your call.

Member of Team 808

Member of Team North East Spl

I forgot to mention the rattle is only at certain RPM's. It's most audible at ~1600. My uncle said it could be the exhaust and he was the one to point it out to me, and that's when I payed attention and actually heard it. But this was on a hotter day and at a lower RPM, it's now cooler and only happens mainly at ~1600. I've read online and I have also read that it could be the heat shield. As for the o2 sensor, OBD scanners can read that too, right? So I can take my car back to autozone and ask them to clear the code, use it like normal and see if the light comes up again, if it does, autozone should scan the o2 readings, right?

Clarion CZ401

Power Acoustik LT-980/2

dbLink 8 gauge kit

DXi 104 4 ohm DVC x2

Sealed Enclosure

Who's puiling stuff out of their ass? Its a POS Saturn that is 15 years old. All or part of the catalytic element can break off inside. This could cause the rattle sound, this could cause a slight blockage, that could in turn fuck up the o2 reading and damage the sensor.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I'd say its a heat shield. My Del Sol did the same thing, took off the cat and the heat shield fell off into pieces then just put it back with new bolts from O' Reilly due to the originals being so rusted

Edit: The rattling that is. I dont know about the O2 sensor. Im no mechanic either but my o2 sensor is right on top of my cat under the chassis

Edited by howelr

Ya its not going to be a converter, they rarely go bad .But it sounds like the 02 sensor went bad. A slow response does not mean you are running rich. Seriously you guys are picking things out of your asses, if you dont know or even have a clue ,you should probably not say anything . Best thing to do is clear the code, and see if it comes back on .If it does, then it needs to be hooked to a scanner to see the actual 02 readings . Or you could take the chance and replace the sensor . Your call.

So unlike these people actually giving helpful troubleshooting advice yours is to reset the sensor and hope for the best?

Christ....

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.