Sonic Electronix

I was just wondering where/how most of you learned how to do what you do in the car audio world.

I recently (last year) became interested in car audio, since I got a car, but always loved music/audio related things.

My first install was just something simple, in my sisters car I put a dual xml8110 since she used her ipod all the time and she could just easily dock it in there and play, I also installed some subs, but they were one of the visonik bass packages.

This year I got MY car, and I installed a clarion cz401, and bought some DXi 104's already in a box from my cousin, and a b2.150.2 from the pawn shop, and an amp kit from the local sound shop (and let me tell you, I didn't know bass until I used quality products like these, I thought my sisters subs sounded decent, they were supposed to do maybe 200 watts or so. After installing my 150 watt amp (2 subs wired in 4ohm config, receiving 50 watts each sub) I was amazed, 100 watts pounded harder than the piece of shit I put in my sisters car, and it actually hit lows!). But like my first install, this was a simple install, didn't really have to do anything but mount the fuse holder, run some wires through, crimp wires, etc and all that bullshit. But something I plan to do in the future with my friend who has built boxes before, is build a box my self instead of use a prefabbed one.

I've learned how to do simple things like plug some numbers into a box calculator to find the dimensions I need for the internal volume I need and the frequency I want the box tuned to. But what I don't understand is how you include the displacement and all that, and what things like Fs, Q, and all that mean.

I was really hoping to see if I could get an internship, paid or unpaid, at one of the local sound shops because I'd really love to learn how to work with building enclosures, working with wood and fiberglass and resin and all that, nahmean?

Clarion CZ401

Power Acoustik LT-980/2

dbLink 8 gauge kit

DXi 104 4 ohm DVC x2

Sealed Enclosure

I grew up loving audio in every way. I started messing with it and putting systems together when i was 12. I started with simple headunit installs and worked my way up. I still learn new things til this day. The way i look at it we all have to start somewhere. You are doing good man you have the desire to learn more and to pursue car audio further on. Just keep working at it and you will do good man. This site has tons and tons of info, tricks, techniques, material, and tips you can use to do anything that you want. its helped me out alot, i hope it can do the same for you man. Everything comes with time.. :drinks:

i learned when i was 18, my friend had a system in his car and it was 2 12 l5s on a memphis 1000w amp, man did i think that shit was loud so i went out and

bought a system, i got 2 10 old school kickers in a bandpass box with a kenwood 800w amp, i had alot of system since then but i learned alot from a few friends

and since alittle over a year ago, i learned alot from a friend i ment that has been in car audio for 12 years and this site helped alot! i wouldnt no alot of the stuff

without this site. everyone on this forum learns something new.

everything you want to know about car audio, well people on here will help you no matter what

im glad you in car audio and its a great thing, fustration comes along with it and shit will happen and you wallet will have a hole in it hahah

hands on, hands on, hands on. That is how you learn, books and reading can only do so much. After each time you do your own install, you find little things that make big things way easier to do and do them more effectively.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

The Internet, Physics, SMD Fourm, knowledge from Home Audio, and just by doing it.

Edited by Omega5002

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Started off by finding out I liked it. Then that turned into youtube videos and sure enough: I stumbled into Steve. I lurked here on SMD for a while, giving me a great deal of knowledge. Then everything else comes from google searches / personal experience and experimentation.

here. gained interest from this video when i was like 14

then i found meades videos

then i joined this site

Good video! That sub was gettin down.

I learned the basics just by gettin out there and doing it. That was about 12 years ago. I was very limited in my knowledge until I joined here and realized there's a lot more to it than I thought.

Always loved music and what not. Cars and engines always on my mind. Once i got to 14 i messed with home audio, little car audio fixing. Around 15-16 a friens showrd me a meade video. Instantly i was hooked and watched tonsnof videos keep up to date on his channel amd others. I was building a system before i had a car. Most my little knowledge from youtube, try amd fail, forums, steve etx

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

hands on, hands on, hands on. That is how you learn, books and reading can only do so much. After each time you do your own install, you find little things that make big things way easier to do and do them more effectively.

x2

Like chevyboy said, hands on is always the best way to learn and associate what you have read and seen. basicaly put a face to the name lol. Slow and steady always works, before you know it installs become muscle memory.

Under Construction

2011 Malibu 1LT

12k DDM Tuning HID's 55W

Soundstream 6.5 components(front)

Inffinitty Kappa 6x9's (rear)