I do not have the required Skil for this Router...

BobbyG2

So, yesterday was my first experience using a Router.

It was my roommates router, and he showed me how to use it. He told me to practice on a spare sheet of MDF to make sure that I got the cuts to the right size, etc. To make sure that I get it right on the actual enclosure. It has one of those circle template things that you put the pin in the measurement you want, and go and cut perfect circles.

Well, I cut my practice cuts fine, they were the size I wanted, so I went ahead and started cutting them out on the enclosure.

First cut went fine, I quickly checked to see if it was the right size and it was. Then, 3/4 way through the second cut, the router bit broke. I figured I either didn't let the router bit cool or something, or went too fast when cutting. We were able to get the part of the bit stuck in the router out eventually (Although that was a bitch). My roommate thought that we could reuse the other part of the bit so we did. I thought that maybe it wasn't the right bit for MDF or it was dull or something but he thought it was fine to use again.

Next day, I finished the other 1/4 of that cut, and the 3rd hole. I went way slower this time. About 1/4 through the 4th and final cut, sparks fly out of the router, and it stops working. Moving the motor by the bit I can hear a slight "brushing" sound. The bit still appears to be sharp, but maybe router bits are supposed to be super-sharp or something?

My roommate thinks I did everything the way I was supposed to, and that it was just a defective router, since he bought it "Open Box". He had only used it twice before I used it (same router bit), so it was still relatively new.

Reason for posting this is to ask for advice on what I could have done differently? So I don't keep killing routers, lol. Or maybe agree with my roommate that it was probably just a defective router?

The brand of the router is "Skil", maybe when we get another router we can get another more reliable brand?

Thanks guys.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

I'd agree it was defective. I 've been using my dad's router and have made a ton of cuts. No broke bits, no problems. I just take my time. I also pull the router and cut on the right side, Pulling it helps keep the saw dust from packing up in front of the bit.

it sounds to me as if the brushes in the router may have burnt up , they are replaceable usually .and something that most people can do with little challenge .

as for using the router , unless you have expensive equipment , router and bits , you are going to want to cut your holes out in 3 steps or more steps for thicker / harder material , about quarter inch at a time cheaper routers don't have the power to cut 3/4 inch in 1 pass usually and even your tool has enough power , not all bits are going to be capable of that . as far as bits go, don't get them too hot , if the bit is blue or discolored its more or less done , it has been overheated and the temper is gone .

when doing circles cut slowly or do it halfway through each time. its much easier on the bits and the router. i learned the hard way too.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll do it in steps next time.

The second go around, I used just my thumb on the trigger to move it with just enough force to cut really slowly, it must of taken at least 3 minutes per cut, but next time I'll for sure do it in steps.

Are you sure the sparks came from the motor of the router? First time I used a router I didn't install the bit tight enough in the sleeve and after a bit of cutting, the bit spun in the sleeve an sparked a bunch. Then the bit got stuck and it ceased the motor. After I got the bit out and put a new one in, it was fine.

It kinda happened quickly and I'm not sure exactly where it came from, I think it came out both the area where the bit was, and a little out of the top of the router (Where that vent is in the plastic). The router doesn't make any noise at all when I pull the trigger, and when it's unplugged I can free-spin the motor quite easily, with only a slight brushing sound.

The bit is definitely tight in there.

There was no electrical smell, but that could just be because it was masked by the smell of MDF

Archived