Second Skin Audio

Ported Box SQ tuning

Mine is at 22 htz ... Love it !!!

Again, having a flat response is meaningless if it comes with a sloppy roll-off slope.

What would make you think in any way that I would have a sloppy roll-off slope ??

Just because I'm tuned low doesn't mean in any way that I could not play higher bass notes ...

I play just as many bass CDs as I do SQ CDs ... loudly !!!

Maybe this is where I was misunderstood. I only meant a sealed box was better in most cases for your roll-off slope, not that ported fails at it.

EDIT: Not to mention there is usually an improvement in transient response with a sealed box or a bandpass.

Mine is at 22 htz ... Love it !!!

Again, having a flat response is meaningless if it comes with a sloppy roll-off slope.

What would make you think in any way that I would have a sloppy roll-off slope ??

Just because I'm tuned low doesn't mean in any way that I could not play higher bass notes ...

I play just as many bass CDs as I do SQ CDs ... loudly !!!

Maybe this is where I was misunderstood. I only meant a sealed box was better in most cases for your roll-off slope, not that ported fails at it.

EDIT: Not to mention there is usually an improvement in transient response with a sealed box or a bandpass.

Not entirely true. While a sealed box is a simpler way to achieve a tight attack (transient response), it's not the deciding factor in a sub stage design. I would say that out of the 3, a BP box can be the most difficult to design to get a good attack within the bandwidth. A well designed ported box with a sub with great motor control can out perform a sealed box any day. It's like saying 18's can't reproduce accurate attack in the substage like a 10, which also isn't true. You have to look at the design as a whole.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

All very true, but I am saying that when working with the same driver, you cannot deny a sealed box will win every time in at least some category against a ported design. Unless you pay NASA to design your sub box, and you're going for all out SQ- truly uncolored bass reproduction, the name of the game for box design is sealed.

I'm gonna hate

if given the opportunity, I will build a solid ported box over a sealed one any day. hell I'll take the extra work of a BP box over a sealed. It's box design, not rocket science. No NASA needed. It may seam like that to some, but that is okay. people who cant build boxes come to people like me who can. ;)

In the "game" of SQ, you might want to check around. There is a good number of people running other then a sealed box for their competition SQ systems. IB is a very popular design with the SQ guys.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Never said it was too big of a deal to design a box, just that if you wanted a ported box that matched a sealed box for response and sound quality in all manners you'd need to contract NASA to build it, haha. IB setups get mega-low, I know that much, hear you have to pretty much seal your trunk off though, what a pain.

I'm gonna hate

I guess I fail to see where a sealed box always out performs all other types. :shrug:

I would never go back to a sealed enclosure for SQ ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I would never go back to a sealed enclosure for SQ ...

I find sealed enclosures to have terrible fidelity/sq in my opinion. This makes me think of what my friend told me, even he's a home audio guy.

"You can just a make box, stick a woofer inside, and expect it to sound good, it needs a proper design, like labyrinths and such."

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Archived