Second Skin Audio

First Time Designing A 4th Order Box Need Some Critique

OK so I decided I would try to design a 4th Order Box for 2 SA-12's and here is what I came up with,

SealedSide.jpg

Sealed Portion Specs

PortedSide.jpg

Ported Portion Specs

4thorderfromabove-1.jpg

The Box Built in Sketchup,

So I would like some critique on weather or not I designed this right and if I didn't design it right what I did right,

Thanks,

KCowboy620

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

1 Planet Audio BIg Bang 15

Powerbass 1500,1

I think the box ratio is good. I have seen several 4 th order boxes loaded with the subs firing towards the port and they worked well. I am curious what you are going for. Spl? Or a daily driver? If a daily driver I would try and design it with a tunable port. I will give you muck better chance of getting the port how you want it without rebuilding your box.

get the sealed up to 2-2.2net and ported down to 3-3.5net and higher tune

My only concern other then the low tune would be the orientation of the subs, im wondering if facing them at the port like that will cause port unloading.

I thought I saw somewhere that as long as you couldn't see the subs through the port then it would be okay, but i could try to figure something else out

I think the box ratio is good. I have seen several 4 th order boxes loaded with the subs firing towards the port and they worked well. I am curious what you are going for. Spl? Or a daily driver? If a daily driver I would try and design it with a tunable port. I will give you muck better chance of getting the port how you want it without rebuilding your box.

Yes it would be for a daily driver and what should I tune it to for best performance in a daily

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

2.2 sealed

4.2 ported

Tune to 41-42

15sqin per

Good start

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

2.2 sealed

4.2 ported

Tune to 41-42

15sqin per

Good start

Alright thanks I'll try to figure something out for the space I have to work with

Here is what I got this time it's as close as i could get to those specs without using really weird fractions

SealedSide2.jpg

Sealed side

PortedSide2-1.jpg

Ported side.

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

How does one determine how big to make the sealed area and how large and where to tune the ported area? Are you guys running formulas, guessing blindly, or are you using software? I have BBP6 and winISD on my other laptop, but its slow, so i usually just stick to my mac.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.