454 is pretty generalized

You need to give years, what its built for ect. Why a 454, why not a 496? 502? Buillt small block? LQ9 engine ect.

My dads shop could build you a nice daily dually with a big block.

Pros of a BBC-power, raw power, reliability, easy to fix, sex appeal, sound? plenty of after market ect.

Cons- weight, economy and emissions.

Strange duck, no offense taken. I clearly wouldn't have posted this online if I didn't expect a variety of responses lol.

I'm looking for pros and cons. I guess if I made $20 an hour at my job I could do it. But with everyone saying how expensive maintenance is, I guess I should stick to a smaller motor lol. Damn you 7 liters.

maintenance is just about the same as a 350 5.7 litters. the pros is the burnouts and the speed cons is just fuel consumption. i really dont spend much on maintenance as another car i have. just because its bigger engine it dont meant your oil plugs and other stuff will not last

I am talking more about drive train(I should have specified). Regular "wear" items and tune ups, are like you say, about normal. It's things like wheel bearings, suspension, internals and stuff that will get you.And you really can't predict if you will or won't have issues with those. Just like any vehicle. So I'm not disagreeing with you.

Grammar edit/

where are you getting that from. my silverado had a 350 and i put a hot 454 in it and no bearing or differential has needed a repair in 4 years. if that was true my rear end/bearings would have failed me ages ago since my 454 is not stock at all

edit: to top it of my truck still has the stock shocks and coils spring so where ever you are getting your info they are giving it to you incorrectly

Strange duck, no offense taken. I clearly wouldn't have posted this online if I didn't expect a variety of responses lol.

I'm looking for pros and cons. I guess if I made $20 an hour at my job I could do it. But with everyone saying how expensive maintenance is, I guess I should stick to a smaller motor lol. Damn you 7 liters.

maintenance is just about the same as a 350 5.7 litters. the pros is the burnouts and the speed cons is just fuel consumption. i really dont spend much on maintenance as another car i have. just because its bigger engine it dont meant your oil plugs and other stuff will not last

I am talking more about drive train(I should have specified). Regular "wear" items and tune ups, are like you say, about normal. It's things like wheel bearings, suspension, internals and stuff that will get you.And you really can't predict if you will or won't have issues with those. Just like any vehicle. So I'm not disagreeing with you.

Grammar edit/

where are you getting that from. my silverado had a 350 and i put a hot 454 in it and no bearing or differential has needed a repair in 4 years. if that was true my rear end/bearings would have failed me ages ago since my 454 is not stock at all

What i am saying is you put more torque to the truck, you put more stress to the truck. I also said you can't predict when and if, but if it does it's more expensive. And this is why i hate posting. the o.p. is talking about a 1-ton. not a half ton. and he is talking about a daily. not a work truck. a 1-ton as a daily is totally useless and wasteful. He wont be happy.and he will be broke. Why not spend that money on audio instead?

I just worked a 3-day of 12 hour shifts in stupid hot conditions and am really tired. So i will refrain from what i really want to say. I don't wan't to be a dick on these forums.

O.P. Good luck on whatever decision you make, a good deal is when the buyer and seller are both happy, at least that's what a car dealer told me once.

Grammar edit/

What i am saying is you put more torque to the truck, you put more stress to the truck. I also said you can't predict when and if, but if it does it's more expensive. And this is why i hate posting. the o.p. is talking about a 1-ton. not a half ton. and he is talking about a daily. not a work truck. a 1-ton as a daily is totally useless and wasteful. He wont be happy.and he will be broke. Why not spend that money on audio instead?

I just worked a 3-day of 12 hour shifts in stupid hot conditions and am really tired. So i will refrain from what i really want to say. I don't wan't to be a dick on these forums.

O.P. Good luck on whatever decision you make, a good deal is when the buyer and seller are both happy, at least that's what a car dealer told me once.

i agree on not getting it for daily, your wallet wont like it

if you want a daily get a 1/2 ton with the v6

I'm a GM toyota guy

1/2ton of my choice is going to be a ecoboost F150 right now. 22-23mps daily with towing packing, and yes I know it does this.

But an engine that big will definitely last a lot longer than something that may be more fuel efficient so it's a trade-off. Everything is a trade-off in the car world.

Whaaaaat?? Since when does the size of a motor determine its lifespan?

OP....what about a dually with a diesel? Even the short distance you drive will still be a noticeable hit with gas since you had a hatch the whole time. But I agree with the maintenance costs, they're gonna add up quick and it'll probably twice of everything you're used to.

It's not necessarily the SIZE that makes it last longer but just the fact that it'll be under a lot less stress in general. Any properly maintained V8 will outlast an equally maintained I4 because the smaller engine will have to work harder over time. In my (albeit limited) experience, Cavy's and Sunfires don't go as long as Camaro's and Trans Am's do.

But an engine that big will definitely last a lot longer than something that may be more fuel efficient so it's a trade-off. Everything is a trade-off in the car world.

Whaaaaat?? Since when does the size of a motor determine its lifespan?

OP....what about a dually with a diesel? Even the short distance you drive will still be a noticeable hit with gas since you had a hatch the whole time. But I agree with the maintenance costs, they're gonna add up quick and it'll probably twice of everything you're used to.

It's not necessarily the SIZE that makes it last longer but just the fact that it'll be under a lot less stress in general. Any properly maintained V8 will outlast an equally maintained I4 because the smaller engine will have to work harder over time. In my (albeit limited) experience, Cavy's and Sunfires don't go as long as Camaro's and Trans Am's do.

When a whole vehicle is built to take the added stress of speed and power it does the longevity of the vehicle much good.

I'm gonna hate

if you're looking for a dually, '04 f-350's with a 7.3L turbo-deisel... 17mpg city, highway, pulling cars, drops down to 14-15 pulling a big enough camper.. but they're real steady on the mpgs, although a higher price per gallon I think it'd still be a better alternative.. plus 7.3's will run up through 750k miles w/ proper maintenance

Grammar edit/

So when you say "useless and wasteful", does that mean your one of he faggy hybrid owners? I love car audio and all but why not spend the money on what he wants. He just asked the question about the 454 motor itself, not about it's use or "wasteful-ness". My car get's an honest 1-2mpg if I drive like a legal white man. I love lighting the tires next to some loser in his prius whether it's at my expense or the "ozone layer".

Anyways......The 454 is an awesome choice. When I was younger I had a 454SS truck it was one of the most badass trucks at the time from the factory IMO. No matter how I drove it I got 200 miles to the tank. Towing, drag racing, cruising, city, highway, etc. it was 200 miles to a tank. The motor itself is my favorite motor. I'm a chevy guy. I use 350's or 454's and that's just about it besides my car with 550+ cubic inch LOL. The 454 is an awesome choice you will love it. Gas won't be like the boys in their Prius' but you'll be the one having fun with a big block at your foot. IF.. something breaks you can go to a parts store and get any part you need for it.

Finally, as for the drivetrain comments, it really depends on your tranny. Not sure what tranny the truck has that your looking at but you should be fine. A Chevy 12 bolt rear end will take a beating. It takes me a good 250-400 shot of nitrous off the line the bust a driveshaft and/or rear end.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

***2001 GMC 2500HD Regular Cab***

-Jensen 9312 Flip-Out

-2 12 inch Pioneer Step-up Shallow Mounts

-Kicker ZX750.1 for Lows

-Pioneer 6.5 coax in the doors

-Pioneer 4x6 coax in the pillars

-Old School Alpine MRV-F250 for Mids/Highs

***1969 Camaro Z/28***

-500+ cubic inch 950hp BBC + 400-650 shot of Nitrous

-Audio coming soon-

I know they're tanks. Hell I only get about 17 around town in my 4 cylinder lol.

The truck I'm looking at is a 96 with 180k.

They want 35 obo

i paid three for my truck with 140 on it rebuilt transmission and the engine was babied

Archived