3X MECA/DBDRA/IASCA EVENT 9/22/12

Kimo, with utmost respect to what you are undertaking...

The show is seriously being pitched for a West Coast event and not a "Cali" event.

so is this a state event or regional event?

Competitors for OR and WA are attending as well for the IASCA portion and those willing will have a opportunity to do the other orgs.

no disrespect, but is this simply a money grab? as most of them will not be eligible for state titles, and they may have difficulty competing against competitors who have their class down to a T

This hobby isn't cheap and for the most part I try to keep show prices fair for both the shops and competitors

which competitors are you serving in the Redding area?

cheap and close to home.

again, who can claim Redding as "close to home"?

I ask these questions to say this; this venue does not make sense to me. I certainly do not represent the sport, but feel that it should make sense. Last year, finals was by no means cheap fpr me, but at least the venue made sense. If i am to put forth more money this year for finals, what is my return on investment? Why does this venue make sense? Why does this location have relevance?... Im a full time student in the CSU system paying my way, so for those unfamiliar with our financial predicament regarding post education funding, it essentially means IM FUCC'd. So I ask you Kimo, to give me something to grasp upon to justify my expenditures for this show..Im not trying to be devisive, just trying to understand the logic here

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

I ain't gonna cry about the length of the drive, I ain't gona cry about paying the money...

Tell me what awards will be handed out... If it's something special, I'll come. Plaques, metals or small trophys... I'll pass

3 hr drive here, and I am at work till 10:30 that morning... So while I can agree it's far but I'll hustle and make it if I really feel the desire to win...

Working 8 hrs then driving 3 with no AC hanging out at a long show then driving 3 more hours home and back to work in like 6 hrs is tough...

I know that sounds weak but at my age that ain't easy! Hell just thinking about it makes me tired! Honestly, it takes a fool to do that just me thinking about all that makes me cringe at the thought of actually doing it. Only thing that pushes me to go is the want to show I am a elite competitor...

It's up to you, some may have a easy path to that show, others not so easy... No one will question those who don't show up. For myself... I will be that one that has questions if I don't go. More like regrets... Wondering am I that elite competitor who deserves to win a huge show like this... Even I have concerns if this is doable for me.

I don't want to quote each question as to make it appear of an attack. I really appreciate the feedback and had my doubts when I agreed to take on this show. Here is my "Big Picture" and why it was slated as a West Coast event.

I am here for our loyal competitors that come to our regular shows in the central valley, Sac and the bay area. However, it is year and year again we complain about not having a finals location out here on the "West Coast". Now in order to understand this you have to take yourself out of "the competitor" mind set and into the business mind. Although West Coast is only three states we have a very poor percantage of "paid" members to each org. We probably make up about 10-15% of competitors in the U.S. for each org dB Drag,MECA and especially IASCA. Now from the organization/business point of view you are going to cater to your base of where majority of your competitors come from.

This show is an honest attempt to get the ball rolling on showing a true West Coast Competitor base. WA probably will have the longest drive, OR and So Cal the next. Hell even I am not looking forward to the drive and WE drive a lot. It also will give a taste of competing with others and not the same people that show up at every show. It is the one thing that is special about attending Finals is the comoridtiy between competitors and of course the fierce competition.

I honestly do not see anyone dominating any class in IDBL and Bass Boxing looks to be an exciting format and I can not wait to run it.

NOW, here is the other side of the coin for the competitors. SQ has been totally neglected this year due to the lack of judges and of course shows. Now we had a training and Fresno will be the first show in which we have an SQ and SPL comp together, even if it is SQ in the morning and SPL in the evening. What does this have to do with Redding? Well IASCA is flying out their SQ judges for this event and those who compete will also compete with those at the central location in Ohio October. So as an SQ competitor they have a chance of getting an IASCA national title as well possibly a MECA regional (still not confirmed).

Finally it is the Best of Cali awards (based on dbdra classes) will be given out at this show and unlike the past shows where you had to pay to be a part of the event this is just based on the qualifications criteria and your performance that day in your class.

Now for this type of venue it goes without saying that there will be trophies. I don't want to quote sizes just yet as I am still working on some sponsors but, if i have to come out of pocket for the trophies I will.

I'll try rto answer a few questions. For the money part of it, I will leave that to the promoters to reply.

Kimo, with utmost respect to what you are undertaking...

The show is seriously being pitched for a West Coast event and not a "Cali" event.

so is this a state event or regional event?

Competitors for OR and WA are attending as well for the IASCA portion and those willing will have a opportunity to do the other orgs.

no disrespect, but is this simply a money grab? as most of them will not be eligible for state titles, and they may have difficulty competing against competitors who have their class down to a T

This hobby isn't cheap and for the most part I try to keep show prices fair for both the shops and competitors

which competitors are you serving in the Redding area?

It's not that they are "serving" the Redding area. It is the idea that if it is centered in an area that can help bring in a fast growing competitor base in the other part of the west coast. This isn't about so cal, or San Jose, or Bakersfield. It's about the west.

In reality, if we all don't work to build the west coast as a whole, then you can make the trip to Nashville to compete to claim some titles.

cheap and close to home.

again, who can claim Redding as "close to home"?

I ask these questions to say this; this venue does not make sense to me. I certainly do not represent the sport, but feel that it should make sense. Last year, finals was by no means cheap fpr me, but at least the venue made sense. If i am to put forth more money this year for finals, what is my return on investment? Why does this venue make sense? Why does this location have relevance?... Im a full time student in the CSU system paying my way, so for those unfamiliar with our financial predicament regarding post education funding, it essentially means IM FUCC'd. So I ask you Kimo, to give me something to grasp upon to justify my expenditures for this show..Im not trying to be devisive, just trying to understand the logic here

Every year, no matter the plans and the hard work to put together a event of this size, someone is going to bitch. Not everyone has the means to play in this sport. HELL I don't. You don't see me competing at any of these shows because my funds are limited. Trust me, it sucks ass to sit back and watch year after year. I would love to hand you your ass in your class ;)

The reality of it is, any hobby that is competitive is expensive. Ask someone who races or someone who fishes competitively and they will laugh at how little we spend in our hobby. I have buddies that do both.

Either you are in or your not. Either way is fine. Plenty of competitors before you have had to step back and weigh in if this hobby if for them or not.

Shows like the one Kimo is working very hard on to put together isn't easy. Before you had people like Kimo, you had one choice, load your shit up on a trailer and head east. So in my opinion you should be happy with a 6 hour drive and not the 3 day drive it used to be.

Bill

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

This show is an honest attempt to get the ball rolling on showing a true West Coast Competitor base

that is fair enough. If the bigger vision is to make the 3 state area function more as a single competition base.

Not everyone has the means to play in this sport

shitt, i honestly dont have the means for this hobby, but if a show is worth it, I will find a way, as evidenced by the fact that I have probabley done about 20 shows over the last 2 years or so...i can always drink a little bit less beer, and bbq tri tip a little less often (joking, I would NEVER negect those things)...that was the point of my post. While I dont have the means in general, I am willing to neglect something else to make it to a show given that the show is something worth doing.

I certainly was not trying to attack you Kimo, I sure as hell wouldnt want your responsibilty of lining all of these shows up. I just wanted some clarity brought to the picture, and I feel like your response has done that. Thanks for the replies

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

Ok,I am a lil old school,I started competing back in 04 or so,doing db drag.Time's where different,MECA was really not around then,and there seemed to be a show almost every weekend.Really big show's also,they where fun,competitive,and what I really enjoyed.Nowaday's,MECA seem's like the thing to do,and belive me,I like it.(Thank you Kimo and Alpine,and Flex Issues for the show's),but I think we need to make it bigger,so people that might like car audio like the rest of us,will also get into this.The reality is,I don't know any millionaire competing,so,we all do what we can to compete.I've been to show's,where a guy will be there with his car,bassing it and all,but doesn't compete.Strange?But,why?I think if we drew in more people,at the end,we all would win.Cost would go down,more show's would come up,and MECA West Coast would get bigger.I have much respect to you Kimo and all of Team Bassick,and all other team's,and competitor's out here.Let's have fun out there,if there's anyway to make this more exciting,and maybe bring in more people,I think it's all well worth it.

This show is an honest attempt to get the ball rolling on showing a true West Coast Competitor base

that is fair enough. If the bigger vision is to make the 3 state area function more as a single competition base.

Not everyone has the means to play in this sport

shitt, i honestly dont have the means for this hobby, but if a show is worth it, I will find a way, as evidenced by the fact that I have probabley done about 20 shows over the last 2 years or so...i can always drink a little bit less beer, and bbq tri tip a little less often (joking, I would NEVER negect those things)...that was the point of my post. While I dont have the means in general, I am willing to neglect something else to make it to a show given that the show is something worth doing.

I certainly was not trying to attack you Kimo, I sure as hell wouldnt want your responsibilty of lining all of these shows up. I just wanted some clarity brought to the picture, and I feel like your response has done that. Thanks for the replies

Ok,I am a lil old school,I started competing back in 04 or so,doing db drag.Time's where different,MECA was really not around then,and there seemed to be a show almost every weekend.Really big show's also,they where fun,competitive,and what I really enjoyed.Nowaday's,MECA seem's like the thing to do,and belive me,I like it.(Thank you Kimo and Alpine,and Flex Issues for the show's),but I think we need to make it bigger,so people that might like car audio like the rest of us,will also get into this.The reality is,I don't know any millionaire competing,so,we all do what we can to compete.I've been to show's,where a guy will be there with his car,bassing it and all,but doesn't compete.Strange?But,why?I think if we drew in more people,at the end,we all would win.Cost would go down,more show's would come up,and MECA West Coast would get bigger.I have much respect to you Kimo and all of Team Bassick,and all other team's,and competitor's out here.Let's have fun out there,if there's anyway to make this more exciting,and maybe bring in more people,I think it's all well worth it.

i TRULY APPRECIATE YOU GUYS BOTH. NOT ONLY AS COMPETITORS BUT, FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ADDRESS YOU CONCERNS, IDEAS AND HOPES.

We've been around for a while and have seen competitions when they would pack parking lots of Circuit City and Good Guys, where Kenwood or Rockford Fosgate would have a demo vehicle at the shows and both IASCA and dB Drag were together.

Now Circuit City and Good Guys are gone and the idea of any manufactures showing up at a competition would be a miracle. The one thing we were able to do was the multi-org events and honestly I do not know if that was the best "business" move but, seemed to be the best for the competition scene. Only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

DAMMNN!!That's freaking far!Wow,who compete's in Redding?

Just us nobody little people that aren't loud

2009 USACi State Champion Modified 4000+

2009 USACi State Champion Super Modified

2009 USACi State Champion StreetBeat 4

2009 USACi State Champion StreetBeat 5

2009 USACi State Champion PortWars Open

2009 USACi State Champion Super PortWars

2010 King of So-Cal SS5+ 2010 King of So-Cal Psychlone

2010 King of So-Cal BassRace 159.9

2010 State Record holder BassRace 157.9

2010 Regional Champion DbDrag SS5+

2010 Regional Champion BassRace 159.9