Second Skin Audio

Why use ports? Confused about what I've read....

vrollin

whoever said to put a fourth order behind the seat is talking out there ass if you dont have a lot of space this will not work fourth orders require a lot of space along with sixth orders,,,,,if you want to do a blow through you can and it can be a ported box it may act like a fourth order though

im talking about the rear, different term to the usa, yous say bed, if you look as his build youll bee what i mean,

to do 4,6 or 8th and only put aero ports through cabin rear wall

as for blow through, there an illegal modification in australia, with out engineers report (cost $800+ to get one) and it will probably never pass, another option is to have an IVC done ($3500+), to be done basically requires the crash testing of a same vehicle to see the effects of the modification (our laws over here are very strict)

so on his vehicle blow through is out of the question,

4th in bed ported into truck is doable

or external ports, with 20ltrs net a psp 17" (18" or 45.7cm) port will give him 38hz (and if gross 40hz)

with a 3" 75mm aero youll need 30" 76cm per box to be in the low 30's

either way not looking good for his car

You seem to be talking very irrelevantly...

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

or external ports, with 20ltrs net a psp 17" (18" or 45.7cm) port will give him 38hz (and if gross 40hz)

with a 3" 75mm aero youll need 30" 76cm per box to be in the low 30's

The focal spec sheet says 2.75" dia port at just shy of 10" length at 20L to tune around the 30's, how come your port recommendation is so huge?

Also with ports, how much of a difference would it make having the port in the side of the box vs say the front?

the bigger the port the longer it needs to be, the smaler the shorter

a 2.75" port 10" long in 20ltrs (0.7cuft net) is 43.6hz

and 2.75" isnt a common size, so you many not be able to even get it

So what your saying then a ports volume should get smaller or larger depending on the diameter of the port? This is one of the things im trying to get my head around, I was under the assumption that if a ports volume was say 1L (random figure) it didnt matter how exactly you made that 1L up as long as at the end it was exactly 1L, wether that was made from a square port or a round one etc? Is that completely wrong?

the bigger the port the longer it needs to be, the smaler the shorter

a 2.75" port 10" long in 20ltrs (0.7cuft net) is 43.6hz

and 2.75" isnt a common size, so you many not be able to even get it

So what your saying then a ports volume should get smaller or larger depending on the diameter of the port? This is one of the things im trying to get my head around, I was under the assumption that if a ports volume was say 1L (random figure) it didnt matter how exactly you made that 1L up as long as at the end it was exactly 1L, wether that was made from a square port or a round one etc? Is that completely wrong?

There is an equation to calculate port length vs area, assume nothing, post the max dims for the box and me or other members will provide you a cutsheet, a slot port can make the sun and the port in the same surface if that's what you prefer or there are no pipe port options for your case.

how so

I don't see where bandpass comes into the equation here. I remember him specifically asking about ported enclosures.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I know that ported boxes produce better low end freq becasue they allow the drivers to move more air, but ported boxes are also "late" for bass response. Ex: if your listening to electronic music, the kick will sound delayed.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

I know that ported boxes produce better low end freq becasue they allow the drivers to move more air, but ported boxes are also "late" for bass response. Ex: if your listening to electronic music, the kick will sound delayed.

you are completely wrong

Archived