Sundown Audio

dmm gain setting

ZachG

WHY NOT PURCHASE A DD-1.. U REALLY CANT COME UP WITH $140 ? WOW .. THE ECONOMY IS NOT THAT BAD ..THE DD-1 IS FAR MORE SUPERIOR COMPARED TO DMM AND MUCH MORE ACCURATE & EASY THAN A OSCOPE & NOT EVERYONE CAN READ AN OSCOPE PROPERLY. THE DD-1 IS THE BEST INVENTION SINCE AN OSCOPE .

Please change your tone, stop acting like a know it all, and stop yelling at people.. No need for it what so ever. If you like the forums here bro, take a big step back catch your breath, and be easy going.

Kthx!

With an oscope it is hard to tell if signal is clean or distorded...clipping not a problem to spot with oscope....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/np0lpIiSesU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WHY NOT PURCHASE A DD-1.. U REALLY CANT COME UP WITH $140 ? WOW .. THE ECONOMY IS NOT THAT BAD ..THE DD-1 IS FAR MORE SUPERIOR COMPARED TO DMM AND MUCH MORE ACCURATE & EASY THAN A OSCOPE & NOT EVERYONE CAN READ AN OSCOPE PROPERLY. THE DD-1 IS THE BEST INVENTION SINCE AN OSCOPE .

Please change your tone, stop acting like a know it all, and stop yelling at people.. No need for it what so ever. If you like the forums here bro, take a big step back catch your breath, and be easy going.

Kthx!

lol yea ok sheriff

SMD makes the best products! I bought them all! Click the banner below!

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

The troll is strong with this one.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

and you DO realize that an oscilloscope is useful for oh say, heart monitors in the hospital, or checking fuel injectors in your car, or having pong built from it back in the late 50's?

an oscilloscope is not made to do one specific thing, like the dd-1 is. it has thousands of uses.

you're done.

yes i do realize thats why i bought one you should too instead of hating on it .. !

Kthx!

wow one statement & now im labeled a know it all ... lol yea im new but your personal opinion is not on topic

Like a year or two ago everyone recommended using a dmm and that's what I used around 2 years ago for my btl and never had a problem. Now everyone is saying to buy the DD-1...my how things change lol.

thats what I keep saying! half the people in this thread talking about how stupid it is to use a DMM used to throw the DMM tuning how-to at everyone. its fucking retarded. and i know someone will lash out if i dont praise the dd1 a little, it is a nice simple tool. BUT a DMM DOES work. ive tuned a 12k, 3ks at .5ohm and even 1500s at .25ohm with a DMM. never had a problem. it has always been my method for tuning and seeing as how it's never giving me any trouble, and so many people successfully use the DMM method for so may years, I dont see any reason for me to change methods.

But, to actually answer the OP's question. you are doing it correctly. using a -3db tone will be a fairly safe way to go. I use a -6db tone but I know when to take it easy.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Kthx!

lol yea ok sheriff

You no, I tied to give you a warning, but fuck it... You just got a timeout. Theres been enough reports about you today, and Im not going to keep babysitting a kid. Good bye!

Like a year or two ago everyone recommended using a dmm and that's what I used around 2 years ago for my btl and never had a problem. Now everyone is saying to buy the DD-1...my how things change lol.

thats what I keep saying! half the people in this thread talking about how stupid it is to use a DMM used to throw the DMM tuning how-to at everyone. its fucking retarded. and i know someone will lash out if i dont praise the dd1 a little, it is a nice simple tool. BUT a DMM DOES work. ive tuned a 12k, 3ks at .5ohm and even 1500s at .25ohm with a DMM. never had a problem. it has always been my method for tuning and seeing as how it's never giving me any trouble, and so many people successfully use the DMM method for so may years, I dont see any reason for me to change methods.

But, to actually answer the OP's question. you are doing it correctly. using a -3db tone will be a fairly safe way to go. I use a -6db tone but I know when to take it easy.

if you use a DMM, you might as well use your ears. You are totally guessing your settings. Please explain to these people how you found your MAXIMUM non-distorted volume on the deck with a DMM. Do you use the "3/4" trick? I hope not. Then Explain to them how you found the maximum non-distorted output from any crossover (or processor) in between the deck and the amp. Without knowing that, you might as well grab a screw driver and turn your gain up to wherever you like it. AKA, guessing.

sure you can use a dmm to do some calculation that tells you "its a 9,000 watt amp so here is 9,000 watts.....done!".............but if you don't know where EVERYTHING before the amp is distorting (or clipping if you use an o-scope), you aren't doing it right. And then there is a thing called gain overlap. I would love to see how you achieve this with a DMM. You can be the "Anti DD-1 advocate" all day long, i expect that from you, but you should at LEAST be using a scope, not a DMM. Its funny because even if there is a slight chance you are right, you would be sitting there ALL DAY with your pen and paper trying to do math while i would be in the house DONE having a cold drink. ESPECIALLY if there was more then one amp in the system. In fact, any SHOP that doesn't use an O-scope in the very minimum to set gains is a JOKE and their installers need some serious training.

to the O.P. - im not trying to sell you a DD-1. In the very least, go get a cheap o-scope, get the proper tracks and take a lesson from an installer who knows how to use it. Once you have a basic grasp of what it means to set a gain, then we can talk about if its worth it for you to buy something else.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Archived