Second Skin Audio

Carbon Fiber Box, NEW AMP RACK PICS ADDED, Page 13!!!

Ok, so now I'm a hack. Well fuck it then, I'm done with the updates. This build wasn't supposed to be a miracle of modern engineering, just a fun project I wanted to share with people I thought would appreciate it. Guess I was wrong.

I'm out!

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

OK, had some time during the day today to get more work done on the box. Got the rest of the interior laid with the exception of the two side plates and obviously the bottom plate which has yet to be installed. I put down several layers of carbon at each corner and wood joint and then applied all of the flat pieces . Last, I applied a nice smooth coat of resin on top for a glossy finish that no one will ever see. Now I'm thinking about cutting a plexi window into the box so my handywork can be shown off. Should have probably done that from the start. Oh well, lesson learned. I've also learned that it would have been significantly easier if I had started by covering the speaker holes first. Oh well, I never claimed to be an expert at this shit.

I'm going to let the epoxy set up a few hours and the turn the box on its side this evening and get one of the interior side walls done. Then tomorrow morning I can do the other interior side wall and tomorrow night slap the bottom plate on and seal with caulk. Then friday I should be able to carbon the last of the inside. I'm really enjoying this project so far and hope to make more boxes in the future with what I've learned. The only thing that sucks is that by the time this box is done, I will have used about $1000 worth of CF and maybe $200-$300 worth of resin. And that figure might be a tad bit low.

The rest of the interior walls epoxied.....

subbox4001.jpg

CF applied and glossy coat added.....

subbox4002.jpg

Check out how odd the speaker cutouts look. Definitely gonna do it differently on the topside and on the next box......

subbox4003.jpg

not to be a dick but this looks like shit, if you have 60" rolls why wouldn't you apply full pieces to each side and apply it the same way you built the box?

with as much CF as you said you had access to there should be no reason to have patches all over the place....trust me if this looked as good as it could I would be all for spending your money however you want, but not when it looks like something I could probably pull off with no experience

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

I wont post useless stuff anymore and be a dick about it

lol

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

What happened to this thread. I was really interested in it, as I've never seen an approach to building a box like this. You had the material laying around, you decided to use it, I don't see the big deal.

If I had extra MDF laying around, I would have a hard time not building a box or two just for shits and giggles. I think the same thing applies here since you just had the CF laying around and decided to try something with it. I'll be disappointed if you choose to no longer update this thread, but so be it if you choose.

Please continue working on the box, I am still very much interested to see the way it turns out. If you don't follow through with the updates I can understand, but at least finish the box and let us know how it turned out. I know many of us are curious about the end result.

On a side note, I believe cost and numbers should have been completely UNSAID in this thread so the focus didn't go away from the work. At MOST, possibly simply stating,"I know that the cost of materials for this project is bananas, but the majority of materials is already in my shop, plus it's my money to spend and this is how I'm choosing to spend it". I believe too much focus has been put on the cost of this project at this point, and not enough on the fact the box is pretty unique and atypical.

As said, I'm interested, as I know others are. Please don't stop A) Building this project or B.)Updating this thread with progress and pics.

Thank you for your time :)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I'm seriously disappointed in all you guys, the OP had an extremely cool idea, and he was simply experimenting cause how often do you see a carbon fiber reinforced boxes. All this negativity by saying "Oh you're wasting money", "Oh you suck at wrapping", and whatnot is not the way to introduce the guy here to the forums, and now he may not do the box anymore cause of that. I shake towards my head to you guys for doing this to him.

To the OP, don't stop making that cool box, I too wanna see how it turns out as well.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Archived