Second Skin Audio

Carbon Fiber Box, NEW AMP RACK PICS ADDED, Page 13!!!

Ok, so I have a spare roll of carbon fiber kicking around in my warehouse and I was thinking about building a box out of it but I think it simply isn't a hill I wish to climb right now. So I decided the next best thing would be to build a box using 1.25" MDF and then reinforcing it with carbon fiber by wrapping it in several layers of the stuff inside and out. I started the project today and hopefully I can wrap it up completely within a week. Thought I'd share some pics along the way and get your opinions......

About 60 yards left of a 100 yard long by 60" wide carbon fiber roll, don't ask how much that cost, you don't want to know.

SpeakerBox010.jpg

Two sheets of 1.25" MDF

SpeakerBox001.jpg

The rough layout in the back of my Escalade

SpeakerBox007.jpg

The box assembled with everything in place but the bottom plate. Two 18" subs will be firing up and port rearward. Box nets 11 cu ft and is tuned to 35hz.

SpeakerBox014.jpg

View from underneath. Ran out of time to apply the caulk in the corners. I'll do that tomorrow morning and start laying carbon fiber and epoxy resin inside the box tomorrow evening.

SpeakerBox016.jpg

Ok, so I have a spare roll of carbon fiber kicking around in my warehouse and I was thinking about building a box out of it but I think it simply isn't a hill I wish to climb right now. So I decided the next best thing would be to build a box using 1.25" MDF and then reinforcing it with carbon fiber by wrapping it in several layers of the stuff inside and out. I started the project today and hopefully I can wrap it up completely within a week. Thought I'd share some pics along the way and get your opinions......

About 60 yards left of a 100 yard long by 60" wide carbon fiber roll, don't ask how much that cost, you don't want to know.

SpeakerBox010.jpg

Two sheets of 1.25" MDF

SpeakerBox001.jpg

The rough layout in the back of my Escalade

SpeakerBox007.jpg

The box assembled with everything in place but the bottom plate. Two 18" subs will be firing up and port rearward. Box nets 11 cu ft and is tuned to 35hz.

SpeakerBox014.jpg

View from underneath. Ran out of time to apply the caulk in the corners. I'll do that tomorrow morning and start laying carbon fiber and epoxy resin inside the box tomorrow evening.

SpeakerBox016.jpg

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

dang man, looks good so far, i wanna see how this turns out :)

Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152368-littlebuck1919s-feedback/#entry2177586

i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

6/18/82 - 4/17/12

R.I.P. to my sister Shana

wow where did you find the 1.25" mdf?

I special ordered it from a building supply store called "Pro Build", but I bet you could go into any Lowes or Home Depot and order it up. It was around $80 a sheet.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

Ok, so I didn't get as much done on the box today as I wanted. Had some stuff come up that forced me to have to work later than planned. Today I managed to caulk the joints, which admittedly probably isn't necessary on this project due to the CF and resin, but I guess I'm a creature of habit. While the caulk was drying I grabbed some dinner and went to the store for some duct tape since I was almost out. When the caulk had dried fully, I sealed off the subwoofer holes from the topside and started to apply the duct tape where the sealant tape was to go. Sealant tape is a pain in the ass to remove from MDF after the bagging process and never comes off cleanly, hence the need for that step. Hopefully the duct tape doesn't allow air to seep through when under vacuum. Next, I laid the mastic down over the duct tape. Last thing I did before having to leave my warehouse for the night was to cut out the breather, strech ply and peel ply in the shape I needed. Tomorrow I will cut out the carbon fabric and be able to lay it all up. Hopefully I can have pics showing laid carbon tomorrow night. Starting to think this is gonna take more than just a week... :(

Caulked and ready to rock!

SubBox2001.jpg

Sealing the subwoofer holes from the topside...

SubBox2002.jpg

Duct tape and sealant tape applied...

SubBox2004.jpg

Material cut and ready to go...

SubBox2003.jpg

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

I have ALWAYS toyed with the idea of using CF over fiberglass...so happy to see someone step up and do it!

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Archived