Second Skin Audio

Port Area VS Low Tuning

TRTC360

Me too, because I've been planning out a future box plan in my head for a future build while I save up, and get other things done, and I'm continuing to learn more into box designing, and last thing I want now is a one note peaky box wonder because I have too much port on a low tuning( like 30 hz with 15 sq per in port that I was planning before)

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I've got bassbox pro 6, i'm just gonna start messin around with that and see what looks good on there.

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Honestly i dont care about numbers, i just want to tune low so i can play the range i like the most which is 20-45hz, my main concern is if i run little port area (10sqin per cube slot port) to achieve low tuning will i have port noise? If so will a kerfed port take away the port noise?

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Honestly i dont care about numbers, i just want to tune low so i can play the range i like the most which is 20-45hz, my main concern is if i run little port area (10sqin per cube slot port) to achieve low tuning will i have port noise? If so will a kerfed port take away the port noise?

my current box is 10sqin per cube tuned at 30hz and i have no port noise

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

My $.02 on this:

For a daily, subwoofers should not really play anything over 60-70 hz anyway. I mean, they can still play it, but they shouldn't do it with any kind of authority. That is why you need good mid-bass speakers. Like strong 6.5s, 8"s or even 10"s. IMO- your subs should do 55-60 and below. ...but, that is all up for what you are going for.

OP, you really need to use a box calculator to help get you ballpark and to keep an eye out on your port velocities- to keep from having port noise.

On ported boxes- as a rule: longer the port, the lower the tune. Larger the port, the higher the tune. The trick is to build a port in proper proportion to the box volume to have good low frequency extension, low port noise, and quick transient response in the range the Subs will be playing.

Good luck and happy experimenting!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I cant explain why it is and dont really care to know the reasoning behind it, but in the builds I have done, the lower that you want to tune, the less port area you need. If you want to tune to 30hz or lower. 10-12in2 of port. 30-35hz 12-14in2, 35hz and up 14-16in2 of port.

In all honesty, so much of it just depends on the vehicle and the box. I can build 2 boxes that are built to the exact same specs and 1 may sound and peak completely different than the other.

This game we call car audio is all about testing. It can get really irritating at times, but the result in the end is worth the pain!

I found this to be true with my builds also

Me too. I always loved tuning low and giving heaps of port...but I started figuring out the response curve sounded better, got lower, with less port. 5 builds to finally figure out 18.5^3 net with 224^2 of port tuned to 30.11hz.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

• 4 weeks later...

I had four havoc 18 tuned low burp 56.1 sealled dash at 27hz.hairtricks with ease..but upper freq fell off.. so now looking to tune higher just to be more musical.tuning low theres sacrifice.i rather have music..but sure do miss the windblowing.

^^^ lol says the loudest guy in here

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I am not sure where the idea that tuning lower keeps the subs from playing higher.

If you want to peak higher (the output from the subs/box), then tuning higher will do that, but tuning lower does not keep the subs from playing higher.

I think the confusion is people designing boxes with large peaks at tuning, so there is a perception of the higher frequencies disappearing.

Edit: clarify - when I said peak higher, I was referring to the output peak of the subs/box. It may or may not raise the peak frequency of the max output in the vehicle.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I am not even going to touch the too much port idea. There is a lot of bad info out there. . .

One of my best systems - 4 15's, almost 400 sqin of port, tuned to 34 Hz. It was an incredible system for music.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

So what would you recommend for people who don't want to have a high peak at tuning?

Also since there is so much bad info on port area, maybe you could explain it to make it more clear?

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

Archived