I never realized the modem can affect the Wifi speeds, I'll have to check what speeds my parents computer is getting hardwired versus my laptop on wifi. We have this modem from them, its been working fine but would like to get better speeds if a better Motorola would allow that:

Depends on what your speed is. Like if you're paying for 5mb/s, your modem won't allow you do to anymore than 5mb/s. But if you're paying for 5gb/s and only getting 3mb/s because of your modem, then yeah, the modem is the problem (or the service sucks and can't provide the speed you're paying for). Little more complicated for wifi. Everything affects that. The distance between the devices can slow it down. If there's something between the devices, such as a wall, that can slow it down. The wifi card or whatever it's called in the mobile device can limit how fast the connection is. Router can put out 500gb/s (unrealistic for this day and age but as an example) and if the mobile device or whatnot can only accept speeds of up to 5mb/s, that's what you'll get. Upgrading or getting a different router or modem won't change that. It'll only go as fast as it's capable of going.

So unless wired you get 30mb/s and wifi you get 2mb/s, but the wifi card in your phone/laptop/whatever will allow for higher speeds, then I'd definitely look into a faster wifi modem/router.

Sheena = pedobear

Like I said, ive been renting my modem or leasing it for years now..

Sure you pay more vs buying your own for 50-80bucks..

But as technology upgrades, your modem needs to handle those speeds, or else your screwing yourself if your after having the fast speeds.

If you accidently spill a drink in your modem its quick and easy to swap it out for a new one, where as you would have to buy a new one if you own your own.

I think ive done close to 5 or 6 modem swaps in a couple years...

Buying 5-6 new modems at $50 each gets just as expensive.

2236806941.png

Its a lil slow right now because Im downloading a crap ton of windows 7 updates on the garage computer :(

Like I said, ive been renting my modem or leasing it for years now..

Sure you pay more vs buying your own for 50-80bucks..

But as technology upgrades, your modem needs to handle those speeds, or else your screwing yourself if your after having the fast speeds.

If you accidently spill a drink in your modem its quick and easy to swap it out for a new one, where as you would have to buy a new one if you own your own.

I think ive done close to 5 or 6 modem swaps in a couple years...

Buying 5-6 new modems at $50 each gets just as expensive.

2236806941.png

Its a lil slow right now because Im downloading a crap ton of windows 7 updates on the garage computer :(

faster than what I get at home or work. Maybe both combined... Haha!

Sheena = pedobear

I think one thing that might slow down is my house phones running on the 2.4Ghz, I can't remember what I have my router set to. My router is a D-Link 601 Wireless N http://www.newegg.co..._-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I did a SpeedTest.net test today and my parents computer was getting 9mbps DL and 2-3mbps UL, from what I read the Performance Starter is 6mbps DL and 1mbps UL AND the Regular Performance is 15/2. So my speeds are right in between, still need to test my laptop, but this is making me think we should be getting 15mbps and the modem is hindering it?

This is my work speeds lol:

2240150297.png

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

and yet today it works not great speeds but this is with 3 windows open and the live feed from the redbull page

2241622459.png

cable company sucks balls

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Archived