Who is at fault here?

First let me say that I feel bad for you, being in this position :(

Second, I say it is her fault for driving in an unpredictable, and dangerous manner - stopping in the middle of the intersection. But good luck trying to prove that to the insurance company/police. I will say that if you weren't following as close, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. Or at least I assume you were following close.

How far in the intersection did the other driver stop? That could really make the difference between the other driver's fault and yours IMHO

I usually don't follow close to people, but I'm sure I was a bit closer than I should have been. I don't think I'm going to dispute it as there is no way to prove anything right now. I know without a doubt that she was completely past the crosswalk. When I drove through the intersection later, I thought I saw the skidmark left from my truck and they went past the crosswalk. I might have just been seeing things though, because I couldn't see them when I drove past it again later.

Here stopping in the middle of the intersection does not make it her fault.

First of all you said you sped up to make the yellow light as did she.

Your fault right there.

Second of all you where obviously following too close if you did not have enough braking time, 35mph should be 3.5 car length behind her you should of been.

Your fault again.

Third you said you rear ended her. She cant make you rear end her, that control is all on you, inattentive driving.

Your fault yet again.

No police called, your fault again..... LMAO

Anytime the accident reaches over $1000 in damage (sometimes $500) you should notify the police department to file a report.

Without the report you can not make an insurance claim (it being your fault, your insurance would pay to fix her vehicle, as well as yours if you pay your deductible).

So now you will probably receive a letter in the mail that your being sued by her. Looks about $1200-1500 in damage on her van.

and Edit, I dont by the "she stopped in the middle of intersection story one bit"... Let alone stopping in the middle of an intersection when the light would of been close to being green for the traffic crossing the other way. You would have to be pretty stupid to speed up to make a yellow light, than hit the brakes right in the middle of the intersection which at that point you might as well keep going unless your intentions where to be tboned. But still doesn't make it her fault. Because if you wherent speeding up from 35mph to make a yellow light, and if you wherent riding her ass and giving you proper braking distance you wouldnt of had an accident.

I definitely agree with a lot of this, and I do believe that I am at fault for the most part. Like I said to Snowdrifter, I don't like tailgating people but I probably was within 3.5 car lengths. There was some bad decision making on my part. As far as why the Police weren't called, this is the first I've ever been in this kind of situation, and I really didn't know what to do aside from exchange insurance information.

As far as her stopping in the middle of the intersection, if she had stopped before the intersection then I would have no doubts about it being my fault. I also have no reason to believe she was trying to make me rear end her. Several of the lights on this road have traffic cams, so I think she may have realized that at the last second and tried stopping.

Why weren't the police called? Especially if you felt her stopping in the middle of the intersection was unwarranted?

As I said to Audiofanaticz, I really had no idea what to do at the time. I figured that I was at fault, so there was no dispute for the police to settle.

Thanks for all the replies! Again, I'm not planning on disputing this with her, all my friends just had me second guessing so I figured I would get more opinions.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Just going to chime in on following distance. I say a car length for every 10 mph is just wrong. I try to keep between 2 and 3 seconds of space between me and the car in front of me. Usually erring closer to 3, maybe 4 if the weather is shit. Even when the guy in front of me does a full abs-enducing stop, I only need to stop firmly, which reduces my chance of getting rear ended as well lol

Every state has different laws..

Every driving school teaches different rules. maybe it was just for taking your drivers ed and thats why it was told. I sure dont follow that far behind. but just what I remembered 15 years ago.

Some states also say that hand position should be 10 and 2, while other states want you at 8 and 4...

Either way, your following way too close if you dont have time to stop...

As far as I know, there are just two instances where rear ending someone is not your fault. All other times, it is going to be found to be your fault due to following too close.

#1. my mom once rear ended someone while approaching an intersection. The person in front of her had stopped into the intersection and began reversing as my mom approached. The woman was reversing quickly and her reverse lights didn't work. My mom and her collided as a result. When the police arrived, the woman told the same story as my mom and the woman was shocked to be found at fault. Lol.

#2. while on my way to a Seahawks Monday night football game a few years ago, traffic was really heavy. The traffic in my lane came to an abrupt halt. Apparently the woman in the Honda Accord in front of me didn't like how close my suburban got to her car. She hung her hand out her window and flipped me the bird. Then, as traffic moved again she stayed put. I gave a quick honk to get her on her way. She then floored it and took off. So I started driving as well. I wasn't riding her bumper, but with traffic running under 40 on the freeway, I was close enough to see her looking at me in her mirror more than she was looking at the road. When I got close enough to her,she looked me right in the eye and slammed on her brakes full force. I hit her. Funny thing is, my suburban didn't Do anything more than bend the bumper bracket and scuff the bumper. The whole back of her car was completely demolished. When the cop arrived, she told him I was following her too closely so she hit her brakes to "teach me a lesson". She got the ticket....lol

What are the two common denominators to these stories? Both idiots at fault were women drivers. Both admitted to the officer that they had caused the accidents. Just about any other time, you are going to be found at fault. And based on your story, your friends saying you aren't at fault are 100% wrong. Don't listen to them.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

I was following a Honda Odyssey and the traffic light in front of us turned yellow. The woman in the Odyssey seemed to speed up for a second to make it through the light, and I figured I could make it as well. Next thing I know, she has her brakes slammed on. I slammed on my brakes as well (no abs). She ended up stopping in the middle of the intersection, and I slid into the back of her van. The speed limit on the road is 35 mph, and I figure we couldn't have been going much faster than that, if at all. No airbags went off either. The back of her van got crunched up pretty good, and the liftgate wouldn't open anymore. The left side of my front bumper got pushed in, so whenever I would make a right turn, my tire would rub on the bumper. Thankfully, everyone was ok.

I deleted everything that wasnt relevant. By your own admission you are at fault. End of discussion.

The issue isnt what led her to stop, her having abs or anything of that matter. the fact is she was in control of her vehicle and came to a stop, for whatever reason, and you did not allow yourself the proper following distance for teh speed you were traveling. If I was at the scene it wouldnt be my job to estimate speed. You would be listed as driver #1 with a sitatation for failure to allow a safe following distance.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

As far as I know, there are just two instances where rear ending someone is not your fault. All other times, it is going to be found to be your fault due to following too close.

#1. my mom once rear ended someone while approaching an intersection. The person in front of her had stopped into the intersection and began reversing as my mom approached. The woman was reversing quickly and her reverse lights didn't work. My mom and her collided as a result. When the police arrived, the woman told the same story as my mom and the woman was shocked to be found at fault. Lol.

#2. while on my way to a Seahawks Monday night football game a few years ago, traffic was really heavy. The traffic in my lane came to an abrupt halt. Apparently the woman in the Honda Accord in front of me didn't like how close my suburban got to her car. She hung her hand out her window and flipped me the bird. Then, as traffic moved again she stayed put. I gave a quick honk to get her on her way. She then floored it and took off. So I started driving as well. I wasn't riding her bumper, but with traffic running under 40 on the freeway, I was close enough to see her looking at me in her mirror more than she was looking at the road. When I got close enough to her,she looked me right in the eye and slammed on her brakes full force. I hit her. Funny thing is, my suburban didn't Do anything more than bend the bumper bracket and scuff the bumper. The whole back of her car was completely demolished. When the cop arrived, she told him I was following her too closely so she hit her brakes to "teach me a lesson". She got the ticket....lol

What are the two common denominators to these stories? Both idiots at fault were women drivers. Both admitted to the officer that they had caused the accidents. Just about any other time, you are going to be found at fault. And based on your story, your friends saying you aren't at fault are 100% wrong. Don't listen to them.

I really don't understand why a person would try to make someone else hit them. Definitely sounds like a case of road rage!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys! I'll just take it as a loss and a lesson learned!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

women drivers no survivors

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

yeah, you hit someone from behind, your fault, unless they have no brake lights... i think if they dont have brake lights its their fault.

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

You're my hero. I want this in my sig.

That sucks about the accident though man, its never fun. It took me two fender benders to learn not to follow closely/follow someone through a yellow light. Hopefuly you're a quicker learner than me.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular CabPioneer MVH-P7300Orion 800.4Planet Audio Big Bang series 6.5 componentsJL G17002 Diamond Audio D610D4's

Build log

Sounds like you're at fault and also you seem to admit your at fault.... I hope ya learned a good lesson bro... Glad no one got seriously hurt

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Archived