Comp set and multiple speakers..

sayhuh?

Never thought about this before, but was asked, is it ok to run muliplte speakers on a comp crossover? IE two 6.5s on one crossover?

I know it would change the impedance, but what effect would it have on the crossover? Are the crossovers rated for a certain wattage, impedance, or anything else to prevent you from doing such a thing?

Thanks!

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Yea the crossover points, from what I understand, are governed by impedance. So once you change the impedance, the whole thing gets out of whack. I was researching this a while back and kept coming up with "don't do that".

Yea the crossover points, from what I understand, are governed by impedance. So once you change the impedance, the whole thing gets out of whack. I was researching this a while back and kept coming up with "don't do that".

off topic, jamiehoward - your avatar

on topic, im interested in the answers to this question. i agree with jamie though.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

You might change the ohm loads that the amps are trying to see ... might not be a good thing

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

You might change the ohm loads that the amps are trying to see ... might not be a good thing

Umm, ohm loads the amps are trying to see? Amps don't care what the ohms are. How speakers are wired effect what the amp sees, unless that is what you are saying and I misunderstood you?

Plus, 2 svc 4 ohms, wired in par. equals a two ohm load, which is acceptable...it's rather or not the corssover is capable of doing such. (for passive)

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

I have run 4 ohm speakers meant for 2 ohm speakers through a passive network with no adverse effects, got a little less power to the speakers but they sounded as good as the ones i replaced. Crossover points will remain the same along with how the crossover works with all the components, the one thing that will change will be the final ohm load the amp sees

EDIT: One thing to consider though is if the passive uses notch filters and replacing the speaker with those might not be desirable.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived