Anyone else have trouble relating to their parents when it comes to cars/other things?

Not really. I bought my own car and insurance. Plus I was the only one in the house with a licence so nobody could really say shit as I held all teh power. I'm sure my mom would have been cool with anything I would have done with my car.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

I had this problem with my dad before, when I told him I wanted to buy an amp for my car when it was Christmas, he threatened to take away my car( even though it's under mine, and my mom's name, not his). After a huge argument, and having my mom help me out ,he let me have my way, and I bought my first amp, and amp kit. When he saw that I installed everything, well with the help of my friends, myself, he was proud that I did my own work, not pay someone to do it. He still was a little tough on me then though.

When I built my first box, he offered me advice on how to build it, and told me he was proud that I built it myself, and my mom even helped me wrap it. He was surprised how good it sounded when I demo-ed him Pink Floyd, though of course he told me I needed better mids and highs cause I was running stock speakers and headunit. He still was kinda tough to me.

When I got my new headunit as a gift, my dad told me "I doubt you're gonna get that thing to work in your car" I installed it, and he was surprised it work.

When I got my frontstage, and when I tore my a-pillars to install my tweeters cause they sounded better there, he was like "I'm glad you drive an old car" and of course gave me the look of why I'm destroying my car to install tweeters. After everything was done, everything was crossed and set, and I demo-ed Pink Floyd for him, he told me it sounded perfect.

Now that I'm wanting to upgrade my electrical, he's still iffy about it though, tells me that a new battery won't help much, and that I need a new alternator, and it took me a long time to convince why I need to do the Big 3.

For a long time he thought this was a huge waste of money, but I think he's slowly starting to accept this, and in all honesty, if you have all your bills paid, priorites done, everything is in order, then whynot enjoy something you love, which is audio for me, life is too short, and we need to enjoy it while we can.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

My dad doesn't quite get it but he's loosening up. I told him I'm walling my next car since the one I want doesn't have enough room behind the c pillar to keep it below the window. When he said "Hell no you're not!" I said "My money, my car. Treat me like I'm 19 for once."

Not a word since.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

I pull the computer thing on him as well since my dad is a software engineer, so he likes nice computer parts. Think I said this to him once

"If I spend $500 on a videocard, you wouldn't give a shit, but if I spend $500 on my car, you throw a bitch fit."

It's my money anyways, better than blowing it on something stupid like crack or something.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

It's not just my dad. My ex and her family stayed on my ass about it all the time. I think it's part of why she left me, but hey, if me being happy doesn't make her happy, fuck her.

Oh yeah. Around mid summer my dad was riding with me and I showed him the song I used for demos. It has alot of piano in the beginning before a big drop and long bass notes, so it worked well as my all around demo. He goes, "Damn that's clean son. You did good." Then after it went through the bass part he turned it down and said, "I get it now. This thing has that bass that just goes through you. It's like being at a damn concert." So he loves loud systems, but he's not too keen on walls and such. He thinks that's taking it too far.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

It's not just my dad. My ex and her family stayed on my ass about it all the time. I think it's part of why she left me, but hey, if me being happy doesn't make her happy, fuck her.

Oh yeah. Around mid summer my dad was riding with me and I showed him the song I used for demos. It has alot of piano in the beginning before a big drop and long bass notes, so it worked well as my all around demo. He goes, "Damn that's clean son. You did good." Then after it went through the bass part he turned it down and said, "I get it now. This thing has that bass that just goes through you. It's like being at a damn concert." So he loves loud systems, but he's not too keen on walls and such. He thinks that's taking it too far.

My dad feels the same way when it comes to the electrical upgrade I want to do on my car, thinks it's going too far, though idk if I'd want to wall my car, I drive lots of friends around, and my car would hate me lol.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Hang in there SnowDrifter, my parents didn't understand and hated seeing me cut my truck up and wasting money on a system granted that was 20 yrs ago. :) But it sure was awesome when my son and I built his truck in the garage a couple years ago. It was so cool to spend time together and show him everything I had learned over the years in the car/truck scene. And the best part was seeing him win this month's SOTM here on the site. Just wait until you have kids of your own and then you will realize it was worth all the grief you are being given now! :)

Peace

Hang in there SnowDrifter, my parents didn't understand and hated seeing me cut my truck up and wasting money on a system granted that was 20 yrs ago. :) But it sure was awesome when my son and I built his truck in the garage a couple years ago. It was so cool to spend time together and show him everything I had learned over the years in the car/truck scene. And the best part was seeing him win this month's SOTM here on the site. Just wait until you have kids of your own and then you will realize it was worth all the grief you are being given now! :)

Peace

I guess I got lucky to have a dad that was into customizing vehicles on a daily basis haha :) I now live with his parents and occasionally get the "Is this necessary" comment. They support my truck for the most part though. I don' t think I would ever cut up a vehicle that I was making payments on though.

My parents say jump and I say how high. Granted I'm 28 with my own homes and income but I come from a very strict, poor, disciplined authoritarian household where we were beat, loved, and raised to respect our parents with an almost reverent manner. Granted as such, I was also trusted and given certain freedoms due to proving myself to my parents. Maybe I'm from a different era.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If you don't like your dads rules move out. If you can afford a system that costs a few thousand dollars you can afford to rent an apartment. My dad used to hate me wasting money on cars but he didn't care anymore once I moved out, hell now I always send him pics of new amps, subs, etc. And hes all for it lol

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Archived