Second Skin Audio

Thoughts on JL audio?

wellington

Ive had alot more expensive and higher quality then JL Audio, but would definetly run thier stuff in like the wifes car if i didnt already have better. But i would definetely buy JL over 90 percent of the internet companies offerings.

I love my jl's... but i also dont pay retail... put it this way i hit a 148.3 on 2-12w6v2's that are 8 yrs old... if thats doesnt say something for quality i dont know what does... you wont get many to admit jl is nice on here because you get labeled a fanboy... but im 33 and have been i.to audio for 17+ years and dont care what people think...

I love my jl's... but i also dont pay retail... put it this way i hit a 148.3 on 2-12w6v2's that are 8 yrs old... if thats doesnt say something for quality i dont know what does... you wont get many to admit jl is nice on here because you get labeled a fanboy... but im 33 and have been i.to audio for 17+ years and dont care what people think...

That is pretty impressive.

What kind of box?

its mostly about cost vs spl ratio as well as durability imo.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Back in the day I used to think JL was the shit. At the time all I knew was JL, MTX and Eclipse that was my local shops main brands and I didn't have access to the internet. Now that I found SMD I realized that there are better products for the money. JL's sq has aways been top notch just over priced in my opinion. I always liked the oldschool w3 15s, they rated them at 600 peak, I think, and I ran my friends 15 on my JBL 1200.1 and it took it like a champ. Personally I wouldn't buy em new but if I found em used at a good price I would get em.

It's like rubbing your wiener up against a sheep.

It also says that you know how to handle them.. good subs except the price... guess I'd like them more if I was able to get them for below retail (new!). But I think you should take a listen to "underground" stuff as well and see what you think.

I like my jl's too (2) 13.5 w6. I had kicker, sony xplode(garbage) and a few others that took a good beating for a short time. i havent had Fi or SA or DC yet, i will try soon as i figure which one is the loudest with best SQ out of the bunch, but for now my JL's are good, nice bump, not great but nice. and great SQ. Just gotta find a good amp to push them that gets their full potential that wont cost an arm n a leg. Though I may just get a 750/1 for each.

They make pretty good products IMO. I'm just not a fan of their price point or the stigma that surrounds that brand. You can get very good results from their equipment as a member on here (BassHead810) proved.

Im not against other brands... but quality wise i have never had a jl audio product fail... except when i was 19-20... and being extremely stupid...

I agree. I bought my 12w3 about...4 years ago? My dog stepped on it one time (heard it scrape). Still ran like a champ. Had both speaker wired touch while it was running. Several times. Amp fried (no speaker short circuit protection) but sub still works fine. I don't think I've ever smelled it (thermally overloaded) but I have noticed it mechanically bottom out/unload, whatever.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Archived