Sundown Audio

Amp Showoff

Doc ProMos

I'm still missing a handful of early 80's RF amps and a couple 70's Fosgate's, but I'll have to do a group picture of those one day soon....it will have to be a day when my wife's not home, b/c if she sees all of those amps spread out I'll be feeling the wrath... :throwrock:

What's the silver Rockford amp in the picture?

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

What's the silver Rockford amp in the picture?

The chrome one? It's a 1991 Power 1000 Mosfet "Terminator Edition". Wayne Harris designed these for his "Terminator Hearse", a 1963 Caddy Hearse he used since the mid 80's for sound offs. The original Power 1000's had an extra 4" cover at the end of the amp called a caboose to cover the wiring. This caboose made the amps too long for Wayne to mount them in his amp rack in the hearse, so he cut off the extra 4", had the amps chrome plated, then added the LED display. Rockford liked his design so much, they made this the new design for the 1000c Mosfet's and named a select few "Terminator Editions" in recognition of Wayne's design. The only real difference between a 1000c that says "Handcrafted in the USA" and the on that says "Terminator Edition Handcrafted in the USA" is the silk screening.

This amp was a beast in it's time, underrated at 150x4 (4 ohms) or 250x4 (2 ohms) or 500x2 (4 ohms). As mentioned above I was at around 300x4 at 2ohms before my power supplies were overloaded. It should be good for 320-350x4 at 2 ohms or 650x2 at 4ohms. By today's standards, nothing to sneeze at, but this 1000 Mosfet along with a handful of others are the most powerful Class A/B amps of the 90's. The original 1000 Mosfet (black shroud) hit the market around 1987 and other than the HiFonics Colossus, nothing else could touch it power wise...that said, you had to have deep pockets. These amps retailed for $2650 back then, equivalent to approx. $5000 in today's money.

Sorry for the history lesson, but I figured if you didn't know what the amp was, many others might want to know the history as well.

Here's a 1st gen Power 1000 Mosfet's optional chrome shroud by Perfect Interface (notice the extra piece on the right end):

(most 1000's at this time had black shrouds, but Rockford also offered Chrome and colored shrouds as options)

i-T5nT3vL-M.jpg

Here's the later gen "Terminator Edition" - notice the amp is shorter overall and has the built-in LED meters

i-b9d8Dwk-M.jpg

Wayne's YouTube channel is "dbdragusa", check it out for some cool old vids. Here's one of his Terminator Hearse from 1985 with the RF Power 650's (The 1000's came a few years later)

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

goddamn man you even have the original packaging....so jealous of the arts and Pros :droolcup: :droolcup: :droolcup:

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Archived