to fuse or not to fuse, that is the question

The only time I've ever heard of not using fuses, and with a good reason are the Max Spl guys.

Not knowing how to use a fuse or using a broken fuse is not a good reason to Not fuse.

Your car has potential to catch on fire without fuses! Come on TRoll Troll harder

If something were to go wrong and you did in fact "pop" or blow a fuse, once the fuse is blown you have no more draw on the line, therefore you shouldn't have any burnt wiring. And with no current being drawn through there is no more risk of the wire catching fire, unless of course it somehow grounds out. Then you have another problem on your hands. As for whether or not your Volt meter would pick it up or not, I'm not 100% sure but if something on the receiving line begins to start pulling more and more amperage then you would need a clamp meter to see this. But if something on the power side went bad like if a regulator shit out or the cells in a battery gave way you would probably see this on the volt meter. As either a spike in voltage or a drop in voltage, with a spike being the problem child and a drop just being a pain in the ass. Lol. Now of you're looking for something that should indicate a problem along the wiring, a spike in voltage that is maintained over a period of more than a couple seconds would be something to watch out for.

im gonna be getting some expensive car audio stuff in 2 weeks

ill be ordering 1/0 gauge wire from knu 4 the amps

but ive heard bad things about their fuses

4 me 2 fuse everything right i would need 8 of them

and thats not including the remote and voltmeters

so itd be a little more than $50 4 quality stuff i think

im thinking of getting a fancy battery terminal

do any of them come with fuses built in?

ive heard anl is the way 2 go but idk

and yes, the risk of fire is a good reason 2 fuse

but after 2yrs of running no fuses with no problems

im wondering what would trigger this fire/wire melting?

try 2 learn something new everyday, its good 4 u

thanks 2 everyone 4 input

**actin bad like a kid at six flags**

Fuse, always fuse, that is the answer!

NEXT!

no not next, not yet

if i have no fuses and something bad happened

wouldnt my volt meter pick that up?

what kind of readings would i see if my wires are in the process of melting?

and so far 1 guy answered this i want more!

what would trigger this fire/wire melting?

another question

if i wire the fuse 18inches from the battery and something terrible happens

wouldnt i have 18 inches of wire on fire?

By the time your volt meter would pick it up, the fire prob started and seeing your volt meter react does nothing at that point. What if your power wire grounds out (or whatever it may be), w/o a fuse and you aren't in your car? Volt meter won't tell you much then, will it?

Fuse it. Telling you now, if you don't and your car catches fire and they (insurance) see no fuses, you're probably screwed even more. May not even cover the loss.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

I've never used the knu fuses but a fuse is a fuse. However if you want some good fuses, Stinger makes some pretty good fuses. And yes ANL fuses are the way to go when you start dealing with higher gauged wiring just because most ANL fuses are designed to be the "big boy" fuses. As for the price, $50 is a pretty good price for something that's gonna protect your shit. And I don't think you can fuse a battery terminal. best bet might be to buy a distribution block and have a centralized location for all your wiring to run to and be fused at that way if something does happen you know exactly where to go and it will definitely save some room.

I would also imagine the insurance man might not like a car going up in smoke and finding out you didnt fuse the aftermarket stereo/amps in the car. They hate aftermarket stuff as it is. I could see it being hard to get your insurance check if something happened.

I've never used the knu fuses but a fuse is a fuse. However if you want some good fuses,

Stinger makes some pretty good fuses. And yes ANL fuses are the way to go when you start dealing with higher gauged wiring just because most ANL fuses are designed to be the "big boy" fuses. As for the price, $50 is a pretty good price for something that's gonna protect your shit.

And I don't think you can fuse a battery terminal. best bet might be to buy a distribution block and have a centralized location for all your wiring to run to and be fused at that way if something does happen you know exactly where to go and it will definitely save some room.

your kidding right??

how many times did i type ive had bad experiences with stinger fuses, nty

4 me 2 fuse everything right i would need 8 fuses

i dont want 2 make a mistake and buy junk

it will prob cost me a couple hundred for all the holders and fuses?

i wish itd be only $50 haha

as for fusing a battery terminal

i looked into it and found this

but this def does not look like something for car audio

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_17333_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=17333&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CNqZyc2lz7QCFQpgMgodemwA2g

9368903.jpg

i know nothing about them

and it was the 1st thing i found

**actin bad like a kid at six flags**

Ahh shit my bad dude, wrote the wrong company. Lol I meant to type KICKER makes some pretty good fuses, you could try some of them. They're a little bit pricey, usually like $8 a pop. I would try the Knu fuses though, I haven't heard too much about them though to give you an honest opinion. And that thing just looks plain out weird. Lol but if it works then it works. I would personally stick to straight fusing cause that thing looks shady. Lol

im gonna be getting some expensive car audio stuff in 2 weeks

ill be ordering 1/0 gauge wire from knu 4 the amps

but ive heard bad things about their fuses

4 me 2 fuse everything right i would need 8 of them

and thats not including the remote and voltmeters

so itd be a little more than $50 4 quality stuff i think

im thinking of getting a fancy battery terminal

do any of them come with fuses built in?

ive heard anl is the way 2 go but idk

and yes, the risk of fire is a good reason 2 fuse

but after 2yrs of running no fuses with no problems

im wondering what would trigger this fire/wire melting?

try 2 learn something new everyday, its good 4 u

thanks 2 everyone 4 input

The fire could start from metal chafing the sheath around the wire. (That's why you use grommets when going through the fire wall, so the metal doesn't cut into the wire)Once the wire is exposed to bare metal, it will draw extreme amounts of amps through the wire, heating up the wire red hot. The the red hot wire will burn through the sheath. Then set interior on fire and BAM. Car fire.

Another case is if something shorts out inside the amp, it could cause the wire coming into contact with the metal on the car.

Here are some good looking fuse holders. I bought 3 of them. They look to be the same quality as the lower line of shok. I will let you know how they look in person once I receive them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLZ-AUDIO-BANL1010P-0-2-GAUGE-AWG-ANL-FUSE-H

OLDER-/150916386387?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Fuses_Fuse_Holders&hash=item

2323514e53

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Please tell me this is a joke and you're trying to raise post count!?!

You haven't fused for 2 years you say? What are you running even? I didn't see any info on that here.

But beyond that, your volt meter isn't going to save your shit! I mean what, even if there was a spike on your volt meter, you're not superman and can stop the voltage before it hits your "fancy amp" and burns it up causing you hundreds of dollars to fix it.

I imagine you have insurance on your car right? I think it's law most everywhere now. DO you have health insurance? Both of these things are there for protection but cost you hundreds or thousands a year to carry. But if you ever get hurt or in an accident, you're saving multiple thousands and more. It's worth it and you'd never go without it.

What the HELL, would you ever consider spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on amps and equipment and not spend, AT MOST, another hundred dollars (overkill so probalby more like $50 - $75 depending on the equipment) to protect it.

Quit playing the what if roll and do it! I mean if not, I'll give you my paypal address and you can send me the money. I could at least put it to some good use on my second system since you're just gonna be wasting it anyway cause at some point your car and equipment will burn to the ground.

But in the SMD fashion, make sure you have a camera cause I'm sure we'd all love to see the video!

Another suggestion would be, take your volt meter money and spend it on fuses cause those are 100x's more important than that meter is!

That's all i have! I can't wait to see what the other responses are in this thread!

Archived