2007 Avalanche (Notbagd) Stereo Install Sundown w BC2K

My son was down visiting over Christmas break and helped me install my small stereo setup. My original plans were to just install a small setup with maybe a couple of 8's under my back seat but of course it quickly grew to 2 - SA-12 D4s after being on this forum. My main goal was to keep the midgate somewhat functional so I could still use my bed if need be.

DSCN1219_zpsc159af9f.jpg

Pic of the goods. Merry Christmas to me. :)

DSCN1217_zps69ba25ca.jpg

Some of the initial wiring and adapters for the head unit. (PAC OS-4 and Axxes SWI) Dang what happened to the days of like 5 wires and a set of RCA's

DSCN1231_zps6414ac81.jpg

Stock head unit removed and ready to install the new Clarion, decided to go with this head unit because I think having a knob is necessary with the kids. Just old school I guess.

DSCN1234_zps22eb03aa.jpg Head unit installed and powered up, man putting that thing in was like trying to put 10lbs. of sh** in a 5lb. bag. I would have liked to see the deck sit a little more flush but I guess I can't complain since the install kit was free. (Scosche kit)

DSCN1226_zps0ee76ee9.jpg

Stock midgate

DSCN1320_zps83a55f76.jpg

Initial MDF midgate fitment

DSCN1299_zps56b634ea.jpg

3/4 MDF box started. 20 degree taper so the box/midgate assembly can be folded down.

DSCN1308_zps4896cfc8.jpg

Port was a little tricky. Overall it is 4.25" x 25", one bend at 10" and a wedge installed where the 2 ports meet in the middle.

DSCN1313.jpg

DSCN1327_zps586cea4a.jpg

Box done and mounted to the midgate. Future plans are to fiberglass the front and wrap in beige vinyl.

DSCN1331_zpsee4c44cc.jpg

Undercoating the back of the box.

DSCN1344.jpg

Box folded forward like the stock midgate

DSCN1346.jpg

Another shot of the box/midgate folded forward. It doesn't fold down completely but enough to give me some more bed space. I have only actually folded the midgate down maybe a handful of time since I bought the truck in 2007.

DSCN1340_zpsd977d828.jpg

Box/midgate folded up and latched in place with the stock latches.

DSCN1235_zpsceaa6375.jpg

Welded up an amp rack that will sit under the back seat. It will just hold the BC2000 for now I made it to also hold a C1100.4 in the future.

DSCN1336_zps38e8e037.jpg

Amp rack and BC2000 installed.

DSCN1334_zpscf7183b2.jpg

Used 2 AWG CCA and 150A circuit breaker for now since it is just the one amp. Measured 14.88 V with truck running and only 14.6 V with "normal" music turned almost full volume so not too bad. Dropped to ~12.0 V with 40Hz signal and full volume but I don't listen to that on a regular basis so... Gain was set with my son's DD-1 he won last month. (Orangjuiced) Will upgrade the breaker and use 1/0 pure copper wire when I get the mid/high amp.

DSCN1337_zps0246ba7e.jpg

Welded a tab on the stock bracket for the 150A breaker. Almost looks factory. :)

DSCN1350.jpg

Installed the SiriusXM tuner a few days later.

DSCN1347.jpg

Also installed the bass knob and toggle switch for the video bypass since the relay I tried didn't work. Seems like the headunit is looking for a small delay before seeing the ground signal. Oh well not a big deal.

Final thoughts and comments:

I just wanted a "small" daily setup that would sound good and not an SPL monster as I am old and already hard of hearing. The box sounds really good with all kinds of music and especially rap.(1.65 cu. ft. per speaker after all displacements tuned to ~36 Hz) The box came to life with a 40Hz signal from the SMD disc for the DD-1. :) I eventually plan to install aftermarket mids and highs along with a C1100.4 but for now I am pleasantly surprised how good the stock speakers sound with the headunit power. They keep up with the bass no problem unless I throw in an old school bass cd.

The PAC chime module noise is a little annoying when using the turn signal so I just turn the stereo up. It also has acted up a little with stock back up sensors. Sometimes the DIC says my park assist is disabled even though my tailgate is up. If I turn the vehicle off/on then it is all good??? Never had an issue prior to the install??

Feel free to hit me up with any questions and a special thanks to my son and my brother for helping me out and keeping me motivated to finish.

I know exactly what you mean with the PAC OS-4...10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag! had to do it in my Tahoe and sierra. box looks good!

Thanks man

Nice work. :D

Thank you

killer box and amp rack man

Thank you, it took a little extra time but worth it in the end

Box looks great. What did you use to undercoat the back

2004 Escalade Ext

Pioneer avh8400

Kicker ix500.4

Kicker ix1000.1

Kicker hyperflex 0+4 awg

Sundown X-15

Sundown Sa-6.5c x2

KnuKonceptz 4 channel Rca

Rockford Fosgate 2 channel Rca

SkyHighCarAudio 14awg speaker wire

Build Log

This is awesome man! Great build! I like the faceplate of the box :)

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

Box looks great. What did you use to undercoat the back

Thanks. I just used some mid grade paintable rattle can undercoat from the local auto body shop. ($7 a can) It is the kind that gets hard when cured not the kind that stays soft forever.

This is awesome man! Great build! I like the faceplate of the box :)

Thanks man, I tried to keep it somewhat simple yet clean. Like I said I plan on finishing the faceplate with fiberglass and vinyl... someday.

Archived