Second Skin Audio

Wood Glue for enclosures

FrontierGello

• 9 months later...

I've used Elmers, Gorilla, liquid nails, and then whatever it was my high school wood shop had. I have always used drywall screws to help hold my enclosures together, as I often didn't have access to large enough clamps (my personal ones only go out to 18"). I can't say as I recall ever having any issues with any other "more properly" built enclosures I've made, though I'm betting they'd not hold a candle to many, maybe most of those built by members on here. Still, I've never ran a setup that was rated at more than 1000RMS and I've never done the competition scene, so I don't feel I needed the best built enclosure. I'd say I'm done pretty decent of an amateur enclosure builder though, with the exception of the first two sealed enclosures I ever made and the first ported.

My very first enclosure was made with a few different types of wood, particle board, chip board and plywood, yes, it was quite sad. No glue was used, just screwed it together and caulked the seams. Big surprise, it began leaking like a sieve within days of being used. Seconds sealed enclosure was made with plywood and once again, not glued. Looked nicer than my first, but the end result was the same. Ah the joys of being a 15 y/o trying to do car audio blindly.

Then my first ported, while it's construction seemed sound, the port itself was heavily flawed and it was a perfect cube, so I'm sure it had standing waves, which I had was never aware such a thing existed. I have no idea what it was tuned to (mid 40's maybe?), I just added a 3" PVC pip to it like 10" long. The enclosure had 1CUFT of internal volume before sub displacement (used some cheap ass 10" sub made by a company called "Thump"). The enclosure was initially sealed and the sub was next to completely lifeless, so, I ported it as I was told by a friend it would make it much louder. It did, but it sounded like $H!T. Apparently (well, i now know) I didn't have enough port area and the sharp edges of the PVC didn't help matters. Didn't use a subsonic filter either, never knew such a thing existed or was even needed. Setup lasted a couple months before I ditched it.

Wait, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, wood glue.

I'll use Titebond II most of the time, unless the situation doesn't suit it.

Say that I have like a 1/16th-1/8th gap in between two panels (like I did for the rear panel for my wall), I'll use Loctite PL 3x, and I'll also use it when I have to glue long vertical surfaces, because Titebond runs pretty easily. fills the gap nicely and that stuff is wicked strong.

For a normal box build I always use Titebond though.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

For when you have cracks like that take some saw dust and mix it in with the glue. Then fill the crack. ;)

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Cool trick, never done that. Will keep in mind for next time.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Tightbond 2 or 3 all day

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

It wont be as fast as pl but it will provixe a nice uniform consistency and fills very well. Sands well when dry too

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived