Sundown Audio

Flatline 8.5k?

CJ18

The major differences that I see are the FL8.5k has less of the large copper coils, but more of the little silver topped things(dont know what they are, resistors maybe?)

The 8.5k also has less of the big black cylinders, i think they are caps. This is the part that I would like explained. What each part is and what it does. I have tried looking around online and just get more confused. Just need an amplifiers for dummies 101 course.

The little silver topped things are the "12V" input caps for the power supply. They are directly connected to your battery/alternator(s).

They filter the input current (ripple current) into the power supply of the amp.

I can't tell the actual values, but a larger amount of PSU capacitance would mean it has to filter a large amount of input current.

The large black cylinders are the voltage rail caps. They filter the rail voltage after the PSU has raised the voltage from ~12-14V up the rail voltage of the amp (Ex: 100VDC).

Again, more capacitance means its filtering more output current.

As Ray mentioned, with a much higher output voltage, a lesser output current is need, hence less capacitance...

Thank you for that. Now what about the copper coils? One has more than the other, how does that effect the amplifiers output?

The toroids (copper coils) on the side of the amp near the power inputs are in the amp's PSU.

Your 12V battery voltage is pulsed through them which boosts the 12V up to the rail voltage.

The more toroids, then I would expect the PSU to be able to output more current.

The toroids at the other end of the amp (output) are to filter the switching noise from the output signal, at least in Class D amps which most mono amps are.

Class D amps are soo efficient because they RAPIDLY pulse the output FETs as opposed to Class A/B amps where the FETs turn on with the output signal.

All that switching causes a lot of noise which needs to be filtered at the output.

The toroidal transformers in the power supply step-up voltage as well as isolate the output section from the power supply. The output chokes change the PWM signal into a sine-wave in class D amps.

I'm gonna hate

Glad to know they work down to 10v but what kind of power do they do at 12v when they are rated at 16 or higher...?

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Flatline amplifiers are built in Korea. Real world testing will speak for them, like my good friend said "results are louder than words". Have a good night guys, hope to see some new faces at SBN! :)

If reelfish doesn't mind, here's what he texted me. "I know what my 2k puts out @ 1 ohm. It did 2,900w dropping into the 10s."

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Soooo if it's doing 2900 at 10v why would they say it's 2k at 16v. Wouldn't it be more like 4k???

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Archived