Ground wire say what?

Ok guys I'm on mobile do if this is a little jumbled I'm sorry, at work on an 18 hour shift sucks monkey nuts. Anyways, I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 sport. I have the stock head unit in there right now and I have a separate Sirius/XM receiver, whatever you wanna call it. I took my stock HU out and my power and ground for my XM is hooked into the power and ground on the harness for the stock HU. The ground wire however is not part of the harness itself. It is seperate from the harness and is grounded on the back of the stock HU by a little, I would call it a, butt connector. Beings that my new HU dosebt have this, where do I ground the new HU too? Can I ground it to an existing bolt behind the dash? When I do have it temporarily grounded the new HU will power on and change channels and load CDs and everything but make no sounds at all. I've tried using 2 different HUs and I get the same result. Since I'm on mobile right now I can't post pictures but I will when I get off work. If anybody has any suggestions, questions or tips please let me know, I've been dealing with the problem for a little over a month now and I'm missin my beats BAD!!! HELP SMD! Thanks

You can ground on any solid metal of the body, dash, etc. As for your HUs not playing...not sure, but if you haven't got a solid ground, that would be bad mmkay.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

You should be able to ground it into the aftermarket harness, if they tied it in already. Grounding strap if I recall 100%, just use the same bolt for it on the dash sub frame. As for your headunit not working, are all of your connections solid? I had an issue with mine when I was putting it into my old doge, I don't remember how I solved the issue though.

Yeah that's where I'm getting confused. I got all my connections together like speaker wires and what not. I also have my power and constant and all that hooked right, just for some reason I'm getting no sound. I'm in the Louisville ky area so if some of my local smders want to help a fellow out it would be awesome haha. I just don't want to end up having to take it to a shop and I e already called and got prices for it, it's outrageous haha

Almost sound more like you dont have your speakers wired up right. If your deck is powering on then i cant see the ground being the reason you dont get sound out of it, especially with 2 decks. You should be able to tap into the factory ground strap or "butt" with no issues. What are you using to connect the wires on your install?

• twist and electric tape
  • butt connectors
  • solder and shrink tube
  • or something else...

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

I'm just using twist and electrical tape right now, just to make sure everything works, then I go back and solder and shrink it later when I know everything works right. And no not the infinity system thank god, I'd hate to have that extra amp in there to deal with.

I would make sure to make a new ground for the headunit, separate from your stock electrical wiring. This may help you with noise issues later on.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Ill take a guess. Your truck has a stock amp and your new HU isnt wired to turn it on.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I'm in Louisville I live in the highlands off bard town rd. I am in the east end quite often. I could take a look at it.

03 Ford f150

2 Sa8 v2s

Ap 1800d...

Stinger 0 Guage

CA Auto/ Electric Big 3

Xs power d680 in parallel with new group 65 stocker

Soon to come another d680

Rockford Punch 6x8 3 ways in the front, Rockford Punch Pro 6.5s in the back

Soon to come Pioneers all around

Focal Solid 4 Speaker Amp

Kenwood KDC-X896

Memphis Line Driver

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/160368-03-f150-king-ranch/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LabAudio502?feature=mhee

Archived