Sundown Audio

disabling over voltage protection on amp?

pontformulalt1

Cool.

This may not work for you. Im just saying it did for me.

I had zero bank, and when i added a 3100 in the trunk, it cured my spike.

You already have bank, so, you might be hosed, for another reason. Again, there are ways around it, but, i wont be on the hook for your gear.

Great luck man.

Cool.

This may not work for you. Im just saying it did for me.

I had zero bank, and when i added a 3100 in the trunk, it cured my spike.

You already have bank, so, you might be hosed, for another reason. Again, there are ways around it, but, i wont be on the hook for your gear.

Great luck man.

what other ways are around it. I'm willing to take the chance of smoking the amp with some sort of modification? But I don't believe the split second burst of higher voltage will damage amp as it seems weird that the other (4) amps don't turn off being the same maker and series

You will have to figure out how to disable the protect circuit on your own. I don't think anyone here wants to be responsible for your amp. Even if you are fine with killing it, we'd feel terrible if it burned down your car :(

Try contacting an amp repair company or something

And I had an idea: Diodes function to reduce the amount of current that will travel backwards across a circuit - like a one way valve for electricity. But they also have another side effect that can work in your favor: they will create voltage drop going forward too.

I'm not sure how well it would work, but you could probably either get a bunch of smaller ones and create a distribution block of sorts, or get 1 or 2 larger ones to accomplish the same effect - you might be able to drop the voltage going to your amp enough that the amp doesn't see a voltage spike above what it's parts can't handle.

Would a cap before the amps help in this situation?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

i am really at a loss as i have spoken to mechman about my situation and voltage spike is something i have to deal with being that i am running a big 320a unit with an avbm i really would like some help.. from what i understand it is as simple as cutting a resistor somewhere in the circuit of the amp to prevent the over-voltage shut off....from what i have been told from someone that is sponsered by kicker that it is that easy. please someone chime in tha knows kicker amps

Would a cap before the amps help in this situation?

i'm not to sure about a cap, maybe im wrong.

(5) amps totaling around 5,500r.m.s. pulling around a 600 amp draw at full tilt i'm not sure what kind of cap would be able to hold any reserve or any constant voltage.

I actually think a fairly large cap might help. My gut feeling is that it will absorb enough power in that split second to cut down that voltage spike enough.

I say get one - a good one and see. Worst case: you can always return it for a refund

Couldn't you just cap the one amp the protects since none of the others are affected? Just my thought. I have no experience in this area tho. So I could be wrong.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers