Sundown Audio

Awesome, thanks! I will look for that youtube. Probably will look for the v3s

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

E8v3s or v2? And ibanender on YouTube put the v3 on a term lab and did a 147.4. The v3 is a nice sub, I got one so far and people tell me it sounds more like a 10. I got one of 520 watts rms and takes it no problem. Pretty loud for one, but my loud and you're loud are 2 different things, I'm more of SQ than SPL and don't plan on competing until I get a couple of em. I got mine a .66ft^3 tuned to 35hz and sounds good, next box ima tune around 30hz cause I play a lot of decaf and rap.

that was a burp box. sean also did it with a sa8 and did like a 51 or 52.

I got one of 520 watts rms and takes it no problem. Pretty loud for one, but my loud and you're loud are 2 different things, I'm more of SQ than SPL

How would you rate yours at 520w on sq and spl? Ive got a Sa-8v2 with a hifonics hfi1000d (pushin 650w rms) and it sounds good but, it is my first set up and ive never had anything else to compare it to (and its in a 0.64ft3 box slot ported @35hz).

If i was you i would buy two E-8v3's for about 80/ piece, run atleast 1000w combined, and in a ported box (good value for all of that). Heck i paid 145 for one v2 and 110 for the amp and I think it goes deep. Plus the fact that it blows my friends minds when i tell them i only have an 8. :)

The only thing i dont know is that the resonant frequency of the e8v3 is 51.9hz and xmax is only 12mm which reminds me of a sealed box rock sub. The resonant frequency of the v2 is 34.6hz and xmax is at 16.5.

Also if you havent already bought an amp Hifonics makes a great series of high powered amps called the "Brutus" line at 1200+

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

I got one of 520 watts rms and takes it no problem. Pretty loud for one, but my loud and you're loud are 2 different things, I'm more of SQ than SPL

How would you rate yours at 520w on sq and spl? Ive got a Sa-8v2 with a hifonics hfi1000d (pushin 650w rms) and it sounds good but, it is my first set up and ive never had anything else to compare it to (and its in a 0.64ft3 box slot ported @35hz).

If i was you i would buy two E-8v3's for about 80/ piece, run atleast 1000w combined, and in a ported box (good value for all of that). Heck i paid 145 for one v2 and 110 for the amp and I think it goes deep. Plus the fact that it blows my friends minds when i tell them i only have an 8. :)

The only thing i dont know is that the resonant frequency of the e8v3 is 51.9hz and xmax is only 12mm which reminds me of a sealed box rock sub. The resonant frequency of the v2 is 34.6hz and xmax is at 16.5.

Also if you havent already bought an amp Hifonics makes a great series of high powered amps called the "Brutus" line at 1200+

Thanks, the fs being so high was the main reason that I questioned how they sounded at lower frequencies. When I model things up in winisd, it usually seems that the higher the fs, the worse the lower response ends up. But I am still trying to figure alot of this stuff out and am well aware that I don't understand the relationship of all the t/s parameters and how they affect performance. If I go with the e-8v3's I may buy the hifonics amp, but if for some reason I end up with the sa series I would probably get teh aq amp.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

That little sub digs deep in the right enclosure. Perhaps I missed it, but how many of these subs are you planning on running? You're drastically losing cone area if you only use 2. 4 of them, and you are really close(still slightly under) the cone area you had with the TypeR setup. What you need is a proper box for your vehicle, and possibly to experiment with different box setups. BassBarbie on.this site put up some straight retarded numbers for a couple of SA8s. You may check get build out, she did BUNCHES of testing though and put the time in.

OP, you sound smart, do your research, buy your equipment and BUILD. Honestly, at the end of the day, you're looking at a Sundown product, it will be well designed and constructed. I can't imagine you being disappointed, unless a mistake is made in your install. Im a big fan that it is HEAVILY reliant on your enclosure, the results you'll get.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

lockquote>

Thanks, the fs being so high was the main reason that I questioned how they sounded at lower frequencies. When I model things up in winisd, it usually seems that the higher the fs, the worse the lower response ends up. But I am still trying to figure alot of this stuff out and am well aware that I don't understand the relationship of all the t/s parameters and how they affect performance. If I go with the e-8v3's I may buy the hifonics amp, but if for some reason I end up with the sa series I would probably get teh aq amp.

Hifonics makes up to a 4200w amp which sounds like enough for any SA series sub.

Edited by hayden55

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

Here's the best answer to your question

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Or you can buy them and tell us

Wow, I don't see where I broke any of those rules, so thanks for being a tool to a guy new to the boards. I just imagined that in the Sundown forum that someone would own a set and maybe post their experience. I know damn good and well there is no magic calculator that gives a termlab score before you do the install. This was not a comparison thread as I specifically stated I wanted to keep it about the e-8s.. No wonder I haven't tried to get back into the car audio community...

Yes I stated my goal was to exceed my old system, but I didn't ask if my proposed setup would break 138, 140, 142.. etc... Without having a box design picked out you can't even start to look at the exact numbers... I was basically trying to see if anyone had the subs and what they were getting out of them. ie.. if someone is hitting 150db with them then they can get loud... setups will be different and vary drastically... but if I built an identical box, with an identical electrical system in an identical vehicle... I could reasonably expect at least ~similar~ results... no? I might not hit 150 with the same setup but assuming all specs are identical, we can agree I would almost certainly be louder than 130, no?

I also asked how they sound at lower freqs, and maybe I worded that wrong too lol.. But.... I can tell you first hand that Boss Shallow mount 10s sound like poo once you get below about 45HZ in a sealed box that meets the recommended size by the manufacturer, so I would think that someone could say "the e-8s" are capable of playing low freqs like a champ" or "they are nice subs but not really the best on the bottom end" or whatever the case may be. And I know that can be at least someone calculated using winisd or several other programs. I compared the sa-10s to my old Boss 10s and can easily say the sundown subs will perform better at lower frequencies when following manufacturers recommendations for the enclosure... I doubt anyone would argue otherwise right?

If somehow I did violate a rule that I didn't see in your ohsokindandhelpful post.. then I apologize and will take my questions elsewhere.

It says no what will be louder threads

Fail

Lol you came back to be wtfnothelpful some more.. welcome back friend. Again, please re-read my original posts as well as my efforts to clarify. I DID NOT ask if anything would be louder than anything. I asked if they GOT LOUD.. I stated that my end goal was to be louder than my previous system but did not ask whether the sa-8, e-8, or any other sub would specifically do that. Other people are actually being constructive, friendly, and helpful... so if you can't... well... I am not going to tell you to F off because that is probably against the rules, but you get the picture I am sure.. I am surprised you even bother to come around here with your obvious disdain for new people, and your obvious love for hard assing people that are just trying to get some info from a very reputable, knowledgeable, and helpful (you are obviously the exception) community. Thanks again friend.. Btw... member bashing is also against the forum rules that you are trying so ardently to uphold... so if you don't have anything of value to add... please leave me alone and go troll in someone else's thread.

To everyone else, I apologize.. that will be the last time I reply to his attempts to troll me and de-rail an otherwise helpful thread. It is apparently hard to be the new guy around here lol. I just sold my Tacoma yesterday and bought my wife a 2013 Sonata lol (how that came about I don't know rofl) so I will be driving the 06 Scion full time now. As soon as I get the check cleared from the truck sale I will be ready to buy. If anyone lives in eastern NC or Va Beach/Hampton Roads please pm me if you know of any car shows/car audio comps coming up later this spring. I live in E-City and nothing ever happens down here lol.

Nick

Edited by ncochran

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log